“Not A brilliant restaurant”
Review of Defune

Defune
Ranked #9,285 of 23,860 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I will start by stating that I have worked in Japan and visited on holiday. Hence my initial impressions

First off the prices are expensive for what is effectively Izakaya food. Some of the staff were good. For one the Teppanyaki chef was knowledable about his raw ingredients. One of our waitresses was rather surley whereas the other one was good. There was no towels in the gents, totally inexcuseable and a cracked and chipped hand basin, which had been cracked for a while. How much does a new basin cost ?

The food was tasty and authentic but it was the first time I have seen sashimi served in thick chunks instead of the more normal thin slices.

You do get the impression that they have been in the UK too long and have picked up UK norms and have lost what you find in japanese restaurants, that is good 'gracious' service.

Overall not a good visit. I will not be going back.

2  Thank Mike P

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had the tasting menu!! I know but we were both famished and it was an early dinner late lunch kind of thing. Any way I have to say the I was initially very sceptical having been to Defune several years back and found it to be very bad value for money and the food was not all that! This time however all our courses were exquisite, very fresh, very tasty and meticulesly prepared. Prices were still eye watering(hence the four stars). I would certainlt go again, and recommend it for that special occasion!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I am a regular customer I collected takeaway and was not good so I called them spoke to MOTO who laughed at me and was very rude beware of him worst member of staff !!!

5  Thank Ckb89
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We ate here on a cold January day and had three hot starters, two hot mains, two beers and a glass of wine and it was £132 including 15% service charge. We live a short walk away so we're used to Marylebone prices but for very average food it's 30-40% overpriced. Ground floor dining room is cold and characterless. I'm a regular visitor to Japan, this didn't feel like either the high end dining there, or the neighbourhood restaurants that are so common and so good. We didn't try the sushi/sashimi bar perhaps that's better.

3  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We went there with three of us at lunch time,and food was below average and cost us £143 for a lunch with small portion of food. After that, me and my husband on the way to work, we both start feeling very sick and upset stomach. We have to take half day off and cancelled the dinner party with my family. So sad! We probably had the really un-fresh sashimi and poor raw fish.The next day we had phoned the restaurant and the manager said "we won't take your complaints,that's bye," and hang up my phone twice. Very disappointed and angry with such poor and terrible service we had. They are not care about the customer's health and irresponsible about the food they provided. They just earn your money and get you food prisoned. This is really serious problem as they selling raw fish ,really concern about their hygiene problem. Probably the worse choice I have made ,waste the money. If you want terrible service,bad food,worse upset stomach and empty wallet,go there!!!! Never never go there ! Avoid avoid!

3  Thank S M