“Great food but the service isn't worth the hassle”
Review of Eagle

Eagle
Ranked #6,639 of 24,439 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Even with it's delicious menu and prompt service on a Friday lunch time, I can't get behind a gastro-pub that,

1. feels okay having customers sit on a motley collection of garage sale chairs which wobbled when you sat (sorry but I am a firm believer that shabby chic furniture should still perform their function properly - such as supporting the person sitting on it),
2. is alright with the discourteous owner who thinks it is okay to berate customers because their table was left half empty during a lunch hour BECAUSE the queue to order at the bar was too long and the other patrons left as a result.

Obviously the Eagle is doing great business despite of the above. Some consumers enjoy being treated disrespectfully whilst spending their money. I am not one of those people.

If the human factor isn't something you care about, feel free to enjoy everything the Eagle and it's ill mannered owner have to offer.

If not, seek better service elsewhere.

4  Thank Gaston R

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Eagle in Farringdon was at the foreground of the gastropub revolution a decade or more ago. It has spawned numerous imitators over the years in London and beyond, even as far afield as the Wellington Street Gastropub in downtown Ottawa, Canada (even though in North America the shabby chic miscellaneous classroom chairs have been replaced by fixed wooden sets whilst the menus are printed twice daily and advertised online rather than chalked up on a blackboard at the last minute).

It has changed very little over the years. Cooking is still very much on display from behind the right hand side of the bar. Occasional sheets of flame excite. There is a small list of no more than eight or so dishes always with a Mediterranean twist invariably including a soup, the signature steak sandwich calked bife ana, frequently Italian sausages with lentils, a fish stew, a pasta dish, tagliata (a main steak dish) with new potatoes, Portuguese pastries for dessert. I've sampled a large variety of dishes over the years and can faithfully report have never had a dud.

Today I sampled a beef tagine with couscous, not a dish I've had before at The Eagle, but as good as any I've sampled at a Moroccan restaurant. I would not be surprised if it doesn't re-appear on the menu more regularly.

There are a number of fairly standard lagers and ales on draft. The wine list is chalked on its own separate blackboard. But the whole point here is that the stinks complement the food, and not vice versa as was the norm before the advent of gastropubbery.

As a coffee snob investment in an espresso machine would not, however, go amiss. The coffee revolution has, to date, passed by here unnoticed. A request for a hot toddy will be met by a refusal on the grounds the staff are not bake to boil a kettle for health and safety reasons.

At peak times (for example, Friday lunch) chairs are at a premium, which is only testament to this place's enduring popularity. Long may it flourish.

1  Thank futtock21
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I find it hard to understand the reviews recently published. The food is always good, sometimes fantastic. If you go regularly you know what the furniture is like. It is busy because it is good. The guys that do the cooking are all enthusiastic and will always give you great advice. The owner is what he is and that is part of the atmosphere of the place. If you do not like it do not go there. I have been goung for many years and will continue to frequent the Eagle. Long may it continue

2  Thank FoodAndArt
Reviewed 24 February 2014

What a shame, this once fantastic pub has lost its way. We used to frequent this pub for quite some time and always enjoyed the food and atmosphere although at times the staff had attitude.
We hadn't been for some time and decided to stop off for lunch on a weekend. The pub was busy and we managed to get the last table looking forward to a pleasant lunch. We ordered "fresh grilled red mullet" and believe me it was fresh! After the first mouthful we both realised the fish was not cooked properly so sent them straight back with an apology from the front of house. The chef shrugged his shoulders and didn't even have the decency to make eye contact to apologize, disgraceful. We left immediately vowing never to go back and we wish we hadn't. A year later we were in the area and decided to give the pub another go as we used to like it so much. We ordered Linguine hoping that this was fool proof, wrong! We both immediately noticed that there was something blue in our food and discovered we had been served Linguine garnished with fresh blue elastic band and I am not joking. This to me is completely unacceptable and the chefs should be ashamed of themselves. It is clear and evident that the chefs have no heart, soul or passion for the business anymore and are not bothered in the slightest what they are preparing for human consumption. Not only will we never return, but we have warned all of the people we know that use The Eagle and strongly recommend going elsewhere as there are far better gastro pubs on offer now.

7  Thank Adam-Hayley
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I visited the Eagle today as a part of a large party which was booked in for lunch. When we arrived we were shown to 2 really small tables which barely had enough room to fit everyone around, and were expected to eat food with big plates around it (some of our party didn't even order food as they didnt have room on the table to eat). We were trying to rearrange chairs to enable us to get around the table to eat when (I presume) the owner came out and shouted at us. To be honest it took me back to my school days and made me feel like I was back at school being shouted at by a teacher. The food was OK but the whole experience was ruined by the rude way we were spoken to, and the fact that they didn't have any ketchup or mayo to go on your steak sandwich! I also felt sorry for the staff, as obviously a lot of effort had been put into the food, and the waitresses look terrified of the owner, which also made for a tense environment. Such a pity he was so rude as otherwise the experience would have been decent, and I may have returned, but I will definitely not be returning now.

5  Thank KAGF