“Great gastropub.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Oakland, California
“Great gastropub.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great casual atmosphere in a non-touristed section of town. Menu changes daily. Delicious ales and wine on hand.

Visited July 2014

“Disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

An arrogant manager, sullen disinterested service and poor food made for a terrible experience. To make it even worse, the prices are ludicrously high for the quality offered.
Plenty of spare tables for a venue that used to be crowded shows that people are voting with their feet. We will never risk this one again.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Owzat2
London, United Kingdom
“The worst service I have ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I visited the Eagle today for lunch. I told the waitress that there were two of us and would it be OK to sit at a large table as there were no smaller ones available. She said it was fine but asked if we would be willing to share if it got busy and I said that was no problem. I ordered at the bar and the Manager told me that we might have to share if it got busy. At this point on a Wednesday lunchtime there were a lot of empty tables and the pub did not get any busier. I sat down with my daughter and we were eating our food when the Manager came over and started shouting at us for sitting next to each other on the end of the table saying that we were stopping people sharing our table. We explained that there were plenty of empty tables and that we were not stopping anyone else sitting down anyway. He was then unbelievably rude and aggressive and told me that it was goung to get busy and I needed to move my chair NOW! I live locally and eat out regularly and this was truly the worst service I have ever experienced. The food (mussel linguine and asparagus salad) was oily and tasted as though it had been prepared by someone who really didn't care anymore. I will never EVER go back which is a shame as the Eagle always had a good reputation before being taken over by this charmless and odious man who has no idea whatsoever about customer service. Avoid at all costs, Moro and Morito are nearby and are always faultless.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank Stef C
Sydney, Australia
“Manager and staff are horrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Had a group lunch here a few months ago. Manager and staff are the rudest I've ever come across in London. After we had ordered and paid for our food we waited for it to come out. My food never arrived and when I asked they told me my choice 'the pork belly' was finished up for the day. Not the end of the world I thought - I'll get something else and asked what option I could have instead. She left to find out and returned to tell me that somebody else in my group had 'stolen' my food and they wouldn't be giving me an alternative meal. Stolen my food - what a ridiculous statement - as we were all friends and had all ordered lunch at the same time. When I said that's ridiculous the grumpy waitress insisted we all produce our receipts to prove we had all bought food- which we all did - happily. She then returned with the manager who had all the order dockets from the kitchen in his hands and started spreading them over the table - while all my friends were eating - talk about tactless and invasive. His attitude was shocking - like nothing I'd seen before. The place is quite nice and so it came as a shock to us all sitting around the table. He was trying to, not so eloquently, prove that it was our mistake and not theirs. Even though we had all paid for our meals in advance and had proof with our receipts. In the end one of my group asked him to calm down and remove himself from our table as he was ruining our lunch and ordered to bring me a steak sandwich. At one point I thought I was on a comedy hidden camera show. They were beyond awful - the one redeeming staff member was the chef who from behind the grill gave us a look of pity as we left. I pity him more...with colleagues like those...who needs enemies...

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank s_ireland626
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, Terrible manager”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The worst Manager in London? Possibly the worst Manager in the world.
My colleagues and I used to frequent The Eagle. Whilst we all agree that the food is consistently good, as are the bar staff and waiting staff, the Manager ruined the experience once too many times with his rude and arrogant behaviour. Today we had booked a table for 10 for a colleague’s birthday. We were seated at a table for 4 right next to the door, and when one of our group went to close the door to shut out the wind and rain, we were accosted by the irate Manager who demanded we leave the door open. The place was empty and we were asked to be seated at a larger table. The Manager basically said “take it or leave it” in a hurried tone, stating “this place will be full in half an hour anyway”. Completely ungrateful for our business and rude and hostile to boot. We will NOT be going back and will spread the word about this place

• Visited May 2014