“OK, but that's all...”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We visited this restaurant on a Groupon. The 2 course meal (starter and mains) was OK. There was nothing exceptional about the cuisine or the venue, although the staff were friendly and attentive. The pitta and humus tasted much the same as one would have purchased at Tesco, and the meat which accompanied the mixed grill main course (lamb kofta, chicken and lamb) was uneventful, and in some cases, almost tasteless. Similarly, the sea bass option. It would seem they tried to compensate with overly salty rice. We tried to salvage this with desert, but again, much of the same. So, all in all, the staff were nice, but a good restaurant should include more than that!!

1  Thank Jane H

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We used to be regular customers at Efes since it opened in Great Titchfield St in the 1970s - they even did the catering form my wedding, which our friends still speak about when we're reminiscing.
We hadn't been for a few months and so made a trip into London especially for a revisit. What a disappointment! I am guessing the original owners' family have now sold out and moved on because the service was shocking and the food, at best, average.
It took a chain of 4 people to seat us, each asking how many we were and whether or not we had a reservation!
Gone is the immediately served warm pide with humus and olives, usually on the table before you've even picked up the menu. Our drinks took an age to arrive. The waiters didn't seem to have their own territories, which meant that they were all asking us for our drink order after we had already ordered (but were still waiting).
We chose the set 3-course menu for 4 of us - after our main course they brought the dessert menu. A plate of 5 baklava pieces was meant to be a 2-person portion (how many would we have received if only one of us wanted it???). Then they tried to charge us extra for the other desserts.
There was not much atmosphere, until a very noisy office party arrived, and then it was just noisy. It got even noisier when the music burst into our conversation, for the belly dancer. Extremely loud - so loud that the waiter could not hear our order even when bent over our table. And it was not even Turkish music! I have no idea what it was but it sounded like a surreal combination of Arabic Chinese hiphop rap.

Terrible, terrible experience - will never go back.

4  Thank elsbeee
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband used to come here years ago and wantedvto visit. I recognised when I went in it was stuck between the sixties and seventies most updated area is the toilets.
Food was dreadful, tasteless and meat for kebab all in a very strange shape!! ?chicken nuggets
The decor is dirty carpets and lino.
Some staff were in black others in dirty trousers and jumpers
Never had an experience like it

2  Thank mary a
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is the third time i have visited the Efes, it's never been the most fantastic of restaurants but it is large enough that you will usualy get booked in and it's in a great location and how hard can it be to make a mess of kebabs.... or so we thought. It's not only the worst visit to the Efes it is probably the worst meal i have eaten out in many a year, we could not even tell what some of the meat was, it was cold, fatty and tasteless. there were five of us and we all ordered something different so we could share, every plate of food was as bad as the other, we did complain and the management were polite enough but all the said was can we offer you some complimentary fruit, a complimentary stomach pump would have been more appropriate. i booked the Efes for our party and i was quite frankly embarassed, needless to say i won't be repeating the experience.

2  Thank alan8303
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I had a chicken pitta kebab here and was the best I have had for a very long time. The pitta bread was thick and tasty and the chicken well cooked. Kebab and salad for £6 in central London isn't bad.
Would go here again when visiting Oxford Street and nearby.