“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was our first visit to this Efes, though we had visited the one in Great Portland St. in the past and had enjoyed the experience. We visited on a Sunday night and it was fairly quiet. Our initial impression was that it was in need of an urgent make-over as the decor seemed rather jaded. It also had a musty atmosphere.

I had the lambs liver starte which was very good and turned out to be the highlight of the visit; my wife had falaffel which was decidedly average for £5.50. I chose the Turkish chicken casserole for mains which was distinctly ordinary- not much chicken and "soupy" in texture. I could do better myself! My wife had an unimpressive lasagne- M and S could do better.

As the wine was £18 a bottle we opted for the 330ml bottles of Efes lager, a relative bargain at £4.

To be positive the waiters were very friendly.

2  Thank argybargy213

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I had the misfortune to have dinner here last week., Restaurant didn't look clean and needed redecoration, staff were friendly but inefficient and food was dismal. Both lamb and chicken shish appeared looking as though it had been retrieved from the bin, looked and tasted dry and was totally unappetizing. One of our party ordered the mixed grill (which he had ordered on another occassion) only to find that they had "forgotten" to put two or three items on the plate.and hoped it would go unnoticed. When challenged they brought the remaining items saying the chef had forgotten - although this is listed as the "chefs' special". All in all this restaurant either needs to close or to retrain in giving customer satisfaction, and maybe consider hiring a new chef.

5  Thank Elygant1
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The restaurant have a good central location, very close to oxford street. The waiter have been really friendly and helpful but that was all. The decoration is a bit “kitsch” and it lacks of atmosphere. I am not an expert in Turkish food, but could see that it wasn’t great at all , we order 3 mezze selection and did not have much warm ones , the only thing II really liked was the cheese samosa, most of the cold mezze was not very tasty and we was served huge glasses of wine (bottle finished in 3 glasses!).Fortunately, I was in great company and did not have great expectation. It is not an expensive place, and it is quite convenient for lunch.

1  Thank MinaKarina
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have come to efes once, and I was quite happy with portions and price, service seems to always be very slow because they seem to get distracted and forget you are there. Last night I went back with 4 friends to have our valentines dinner, I manged to convinced my friends to come by saying that it was very reasonable, good quality and portions, and lastly not very pretentious. So we can actually eat loads and relax. When we got there we order mezza, which is loads of sauces, little pieces of pita bread, 5 fried cheese pastries that cost us £40. The house wine was very bitter, so we order a merlot. It took ages to order more pitta bread and main course. When we order our mix grill £18 it was very small portion, there was very very litlle salad bits on plate. My friends order fish that was OK. Overall our bill was quite height, service charge was £19. We didn't feel we got service...we were not impress with food and it was expensive for what it was. So I won't be combing back. I know they open a efes 2 around corner which will be same.

3  Thank katyopera
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I visited Efes with my work colleagues for our christmas lunch. The christmas menu was ridiculously expensive for what you actually got, meze to start with, a choice of meat/vegetarian dishes and the desert consisted of two tiny bits of baklava - I left still hungry!

The photos of celebrities on the walls that had eaten at Efes provided us with a source of entertainment. They were incredibly dated and included people that had been dead for 16 years - Kenneth Williams. I would definitely not revisited Efes as I do not feel it provided value for money and the atmosphere could have been better. A refurb might make it a nicer environment to eat it.

1  Thank Jeminem