“Fantastic upmarket tapas”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: This is not just any old tapas restaurant. Fino, in the West End, Charlotte Street, is headed up by Head Chef, Nieves Barragan, from the Basque region of Spain. The cosy contemporary interior, with a roomy bar, is super sleek but the ambience informal: Fino is popular with everyone from business people to families. Start off at the bar which has an impressive range of cocktails and mocktails, such as Basanna which contains fresh basil, coconut syrup and lemon juice charged with ginger ale.All tables have a turnaround time of two hours, upon which time your table will be requested back.
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I visited here with my wife a couple of friends for dinner.

The food and wine were fantastic, the service helpful and attentive.

Some of the tapas was truly incredible, the croquetas (which can often be quite dull) were the best I have ever had, the jamon and the duck with fresh peas were stunning and the fillet of beef was great.

The only problem we had was that we over ordered a bit, the plates differ in size considerably so it is quite difficult to get it right!

There are newer reviews for Fino

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We dined here on a busy Saturday night having booked in advance. On arrival we were welcomed and shown to our table by our waitress. We got menus and as we perused them the waitress asked if we had been before. We hadn't. She explained that the portions were small plates and to order 3 or 4 each. We asked if we could order a couple and then order more later and she was very happy with that. So we started the most wonderful meal! Everything was tasty, hot and served at just the right pace. The only thing I would say is that they use a lot of salt, especially the spring greens which were really lovely but just a bit too salty for my taste. Excellent wine list and delicious sherry. Loved the busy atmosphere, it's a big restaurant and looking around everyone looked very happy. Service is really excellent too, professional and attentive without being over the top. Sorry to see that some people did not have such a good experience, we certainly did and would go again for sure.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We went here for my birthday treat. We booked a while back on the recommendation of a friend. Being half Spanish, I love Spanish food. Well, most food really.
He said it was very good but somewhat expensive. We had a selection of very excellent tapas. The croquetas were historic, the best I have ever tasted. My Basque grandmother used to cook wonderful croquetas that came close but these were better! Fried anchovies with an aioli dipping sauce were also brilliant. Toasted bread with a very tasty olive oil. Crisp baby artichoke hearts were another highlight in a fantastic meal. The bonito (tuna) encebollado (caramelised onions), the iberian pork cutlet and the acorn fed duck were all very, very good indeed. Only the sardines were a little dull, but then only compared with all the other amazing dishes. I also liked the carafe of wine concept so that we could enjoy half bottles of different wines. The San Juan Bobal was very nice but the Zorzal Graciano was superb as was the Manzanilla as an apertif. Finished with Mil Hojas that was just right and not too sweet and pistachio flan which was unusual but great. Then the bill came and I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of such an oustanding meal. £128.70 plus a discretionary service charge of 12.5% at £16.09. We paid the service charge, the staff were really good and certainly worth it. They were attentive but not intrusive and the food arrived a very well thought out pace. Very professional service. My one regret? I don't live in London but if I did I would go out less often so as to go to Fino as often as I could afford to!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My girlfriend and I went to have dinner and chat, chat, chat. What better than a tapas place.
The first thing I liked about it is the restaurant is huge. It is a very big wide room, and you do not even feel you are underground.
We went for a good Rioja, and ordered different tapas: crispy pork belly, arroz negro, calçots & romesco sauce, Tortilla chorizo & alioli, ham croquetas and some bread with olive oil. Everything was succulent. I loved the idea of having arroz negro (calamari ink rice), which normally is not served as a tapa, but a main. We ordered dessert as well, but I do not remember hat was it! but I d remember that it was as good was the rest of the meal. I left because I needed to catch the tran, otherwise I would have stayed longer.

Besides the food and the ambiance being marvelous, the waiter was amazing. She was very nice, and courteous, a quality not always available around London restaurants.

I would definitely recommend this place for weekend lunch, or dinner.

1  Thank Bett76
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Birthday trip to London. Booking a post matinee table wasn't easy - just managed to squeeze us in at 7.00 although it was made clear we would have to be out sharpish. Excellent we thought - just the job.

Drinks in the bar were excellent with entry-level beer cleverly priced at £10.00 a pint to keep the riff-raff out. Would rather have sat at the "proper" bar down in the restaurant but it is just for show and the chairs probably aren't real. Saw some people sitting on them later though which seemed odd.....

So through to the table which a waiter was able to stop rocking with some special wedges - no beer mats here.

First real shock. Its not tapas! We were informed that we needed to order all our "dinner" in one go. Its best apparently.

So, learning all the time, we ordered a mix of things which came rapidly and varied in quality from perfect ham croquetas through okay octopus stew special to shocking cold mussels boiled in sarson's vinegar (description said "Mussels a la plancha").
Having received and scoffed what we could of our "dinner" in a time of which McDonalds would be proud, we decided to pay up and leave to possibly find something to eat elsewhere (still hungry and train booked for hours hence) feeling a little deflated by my birthday "tapas" experience.

Luckily our Spanish food education continued when, whilst paying the large bill and mentioning the returned mussels, we were able to get some valuable guidance on the fact that "a la plancha" usually means "served cold". At this point I felt reluctant to share my full disappointment as it didn't seem welcome and besides, we were beginning to doubt our understanding of Spain/food/restaurants despite being regular consumers of all three.

As we were leaving, some youngsters arrived asking for a table of thirteen in ten minutes time to which the answer was "....no problem at all....". Mmm.

I leave this review here purely because our comments on the night were not welcome. I'd much rather sort things out there and then.

Wine and cocktail were excellent.