“Terrible is still too good...”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Giovanni's

Giovanni's
Ranked #4,229 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
West Palm Beach
“Terrible is still too good...”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It is clear the owner is paying people to put good reviews on this site. The quaint alleyway setting is about the only good thing about this restaurant - if you want appetizing food, forget it! They display a table of uncooked pasta noodles and breads, similating a coverspread from an Italian cookbook ... 'display' is the critical word here. It's as close as you'll come to seeing Italian food in this joint - what they serve is tasteless cafeteria food at best. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY, and believe me, he'll try to soak you before you're done. When he starts promoting his 12 pound tomato appetizer to you, remember my words, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank Joanna J

London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming host, excellent atmosphere1”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We spent New Years Eve here at the start of 2014, and were made to feel extremely welcome, with a real party spirit. The service was excellent, and it was a super way to see in the new year. Set in a beautiful alleyway, perfectly charming with good food. We will be back!

• Visited December 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“4th time at Giovanni's and just get's better!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My girlfriend and I visited Giovanni's again and they didn't disappoint. The food is always great but that isn't the whole reason for going. We think the ambience is special and makes for a great experience, not just a re-fuelling exercise! It was my birthday and, again, we hadn't booked but were welcomed like old friends. The owner, Pino, is a delight and took time to sit and have a celebratory drink (on the house) with us. A trip to London wouldn't be the same without a trip to Giovanni's and I can't wait to go again. Cheers Pino! Martyn Hubbard

1 Thank Hubster29
CHI IL
“I can't say enough great things about this charming place.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have never been moved to comment on Trip Advisor before. This is one of those special places that makes you feel pleased with yourself for finding it. Both because of the hidden entrance in an alley (love that!) and because it is worth the effort of finding it. Small, charming, candlelit oasis away from the crowds, with delicious food. I have dined here on my own a number of times on my visits to London, and then took 4 colleagues there tonight. Every time I have been there Pino and his team have made it such a special and enjoyable evening. Thank you!

I include Giovanni's on my list of things to do in London, for friends visiting the city.

1 Thank lahlgren
San Diego, California
“Worst farce of an 'Italian' restaurant EVER”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This couldn't have been a WORSE experience for my son & I on are last nite in London - no one was in the place, and we soon learned why. There was a choice of maybe 2 appetizers, none appealing, so we opted for bread - a 'service charge' of £3 for dry, stale white bread with a poor excuse of olive oil. No butter - I asked and was told they kept no butter on the premises. We should have booked it right then & there, but no... gave them another chance. Along came our main courses - the only thing you could order. For £12.95 I was served the Hoffa - supposed to be carbonara. It was a plate of dry noodles - maybe 2 small pieces of pancetta if you looked long and hard. NO taste whatsoever, just dry noodles. The owner came over and argued how this is the 'real' carbonara - "simple",he explained. OMG, this guy from Sicily has a racket going. My son got the saltimboca, £16.95, for tough overcooked veal covered by a piece of morning bacon, and absolutely no sauce or other accompaniment. Owner did a number again on us, asking him if he wanted the salad or vegetables with his meal - then charged him another £6 for dry plate of unseasoned potatoes and broccoli. THIS COULD NOT BE A WORSE EXCUSE OF A RESTAURANT and needs to be shut down. I was appalled this guy can be in business. Still cannot get over the no butter - make it NO seasonings whatsoever and a total ripoff. They actually advertise on menu dishes with butter, etc, but it is all a scam. OWNER EVEN REMOVED OUR STALE BREAD BEFORE WE GOT TO THE 2ND PIECE - BREAD WE WERE CHARGED £3 for! I am still reeling from this place which destroyed our entire London vacation.

6 Thank John D