“10% service charge for no service, no tap water & average food”
Review of Hung Tao - CLOSED

Hung Tao
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
“10% service charge for no service, no tap water & average food”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

10% service charge is levied but there is not much of a service, was told they charge for a cup of hot water and don't give out any tap water.

Tables are quite crowded & Food is average and oily (Beef flank is quite dry), which could explain why unlike other Chinese restaurants at Queensway, you don't have to queue to get in.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Patrick112999

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Tasty and authentic food”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I have been coming here for 15 years. In the last year or so they have completely done up the interior, it is alright but I do miss the old restaurant style and the old staff who were lovely.
Anyway, I come here for the food, and it is tasty and good value. Siu Kau soup excellent - delicious broth and wonderful prawn dumplings. BBQ pork noodle soup also great. Choi sum in oyster sauce good. I highly recommend the crispy house noodle (I asked for it extra spicy and is was so). Beef flank rice was yummy also. Jasmine tea weirdly served in a tumbler glass, must be a shortage of teapots in China? Service was surly but accurate, food counts and was very good and good value. recommended for authentic food despite the many poor reviews on TA this restaurant serves good Cantonese.

London, United Kingdom
“bad service”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This used to be one of my favourite quick lunch restaurant
food is good and good value for money. Recently they have employed staff that are so unbelievable bad manner. they actually tell you to leave if you expect good service????

Visited April 2014
2 Thank princess1168
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the 10% service charge (use for take-out only)!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I went for lunch at Hung Tao today. I have been there a number of times and had an ok experience, however I will not go back again (except PERHAPS for take-out).

The value is ok, the food quite tasty (perhaps average in a street full of Chinese restaurants) however the experience/decor in the restaurant is not great and today the service was TERRIBLE.

- The waiter manager was rude & sullen.

- They brought the wrong dish (with nuts which my partner is allergic to) and when we asked to change it the rude waiter made a face and took it without saying a word. To be fair, the kitchen did promptly replace the dish.

- They refused to serve tap water (although I think the law states that you must provide this is the establishment serves alcohol, which they do- when I told him this he just looked to the side and wouldn't acknowledge or respond to what I was saying). This was despite the fact that we had ordered another drink (paid for).

- We later asked him for the bill which, although he acknowledged our request, he did not get for us (we eventually asked the female waitress who was much better). He was not busy with other patrons, but just stood leaning against a wall.

Overall: terrible service, atmosphere not great, but the value/food might make this a good place to get a Chinese take-away.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank danielle_davenport91
“Diabolical”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Complained about the meat that came with my noodles they then brought me a new plate and explained that the reason my meat was green instead of pink (char Sui pork) was because it was yesterday's meat. I am disgusted. It was rock hard and off colour. They then told me I was rude for complaining. DONT EAT THERE

• Visited March 2014