“Recommend elsewhere...”
Review of Hung Tao - CLOSED

Hung Tao
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Northern Virginia, Virginia
“Recommend elsewhere...”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

After an exhausting day of sight seeing, we were hungry and in Chinatown. Based on the menu and special, my colleagues and I decided to dine – would I return? Probably not. WHY?
We ordered the duck special (kao ya) with appetizers and several entrees. The roast Peking duck served was shredded vice sliced; the remaining entrees were heavy in sauce not allowing the taste of the food to come out.
The restaurant consists of three floors – when we first entered, we were told to keep walking up until we ended up on the third floor. As we were walking up the stairs, I kept thinking…hmmm, how far up does this go up? Fortunately, we stopped at the top. The plates of cuisine served was filling, but the quality of the cuisine being served left much to be desired.
There are other Chinese restaurants in Chinatown – unfortunately, Hung is one that I will not be returning again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank nakamark

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“Good food”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Good food, good service and big portion. Nothing much to dislike except the restaurant is quite tight for space.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank SuzieHeng
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“the best roast duck”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I see mixed reviews on this restaurant. Well, I have been patronising this restaurant for decades and only for the roast duck which I think is still the best in London. Yes, the decor has changed and the staff come and go, but the duck is still good. Not too fatty, good soy sauce. I think its 22 Pounds for a whole duck. It used to be my "fast food" joint for a quick and tasty roast duck and rice when I was a student. And it still is now ! Its hard to find a restaurant that will serve every dish which will be appealing to you. So if you just fancy a good roast duck, head for Hung Tao !!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BILLYazid
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrid food”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Menu change since I was last there and the food is boring & tasteless. And a 10% added surcharge is offensive. I recommend just about any other Chinese restaurant on Queensway... But avoid this one.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Arastus
Tokyo, Japan
“What happened ?”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I had been visiting Hung Tao everytime I am in London for a couple of decades now.
It was one of my favourite place since my late twenties.

But ever since they updated the decor
something must have happened ?
Did they just keep the name Hung Tao but under different management ?

Good bye Hung Tao
It was nice knowing you.

Visited June 2014