“A personal favourite”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I fully understand and appreciate the opinions of other reviewers below, but much of the enjoyment I get from Inaho comes from its quaintness and unpretentious atmosphere.

While service is occasionally slow I have always found it to be charming - the last time I went (last week) the waitress was heavily pregnant but cheerfully manoeuvring through the tiny gaps between the tables (discussed below) and smiling very happily. I particularly like that you get to chose your sake cup!

Atmosphere - there really isn't much atmosphere but it's like a classic Japanese sushi place. If you are fortunate enough to have made it to Sukibiyashi Jiro (the 3 star sushi Mecca in a Tokyo subway) you will know all about understated décor. As with Jiro, Inaho is very simple and very cramped (the tables are about 8 inches apart - sometimes less) but has a sort of dated quaint charm to it. I like it - others don't. I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

Food - I always have the nigiri selection (which is fabulous) and the selection of sashimi, which is also delicious. I must admit I haven't tried one of the California rolls - I was a little put off by the price and have always thought that the real stars at Inaho are the nigiri and sashimi. Nasuden-Gako (aubergine with miso on top) is utterly delicious and their hamachi is some of the tastiest in London. Oh, tempura is excellent from my experience (I go as often as I can afford) but i have heard from others that it has been soggy at times. Fortunately this hasn't happened to me, so I can only say it's excellent!

Overall - Inaho is a funny place. Quirky decor (or lack thereof) and slowish service mean that many people knock it - especially at the price - but the quality of the fish shines through every time. For 2 with sake and enough to fill us up it hits about £40 a head - which is eminently reasonable in comparison with other sushi places serving vastly inferior sushi. A winner everytime for me (and it's round the corner, so exceptionally convenient!)

[I've given service 4 star to take in the speed, but if the place isn't full it's 5 for me. Oh, book in advance - even if it's just 30 mins before as this place can fill up in a second!]

2  Thank Allo B

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Yellow tail sashimi was almost as good as it gets (something between £20 and £30 for 8 pieces)

Wine options are better than I expected (Chablis was once of them, and quality was good and at a good price - £14 half a bottle)

Spicy tuna hand roll tasty and tuna good quality. Same for tempura

If close by, I recommend!

Service, pretty good: place is very small and staff nice

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Food very good quality, just no sense that we were wanted in the restaurant. Mackerel was amazing as was the aubergine in miso. Agree with other reviews here that it is quite expensive. Equally though, the price with a few beers worked out at around £40 per head which is going rate in London I suppose.

Wouldn't go back in a hurry unless the reviews here improved.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

The fish was definitely fresh but there is no ambiance whatsoever and prices exorbitantly expensive (17 for one sushi roll) and pretty basic options.

We wouldn't go back here.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 18 December 2009

Unassuming Japanese place with only room for 20 diners. Fantastic sashimi and the 'set' whilst expensive at £20-27 can easily fit two diners if you are only a little peckish. Service can be a bit slow so don't plan on going if you're in a bit of a hurry!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook