“Lovely Gem in SE London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant

Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #140 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$2 - US$49
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tucked away between offices and shops on Blackfriars Road, The Laughing Gravy restaurant is one of the capital���s best kept secrets. Laid back and informal, The Laughing Gravy offers a comfortable setting and friendly, efficient service ��� a must in the demanding local market. So settle in and prepare to enjoy the very best seasonal, fresh food featuring some of Britain���s best known and well loved specialties. Head chef Michael Facey, is known for his dedication to great ingredients and has worked alongside chefs such as John Torode and Mark Hix. Facey has carefully sourced the finest produce from the highest quality suppliers for The Laughing Gravy menu, even taking herbs and vegetables straight from the next door community garden.
London
“Lovely Gem in SE London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I love these types of restaurants, lovingly decorated with a comfortable welcoming feel, friendly smile greeting you at the door, I could quite happily sit here on a Sunday afternoon nose deep in my favorite book. We booked for dinner (you need to book!) on a Thursday. You can have a pre dinner drink here, they have some interesting cocktails on the menu. The food was stunning, elegantly prepared but plenty on your plate. I'd recommend the monk fish cheeks and the prawn and haddock scotch egg to start, followed by the Lincolnshire steak and lamb rump. We decided to share dessert the Strawberry and elderflower crumble with pistachio ice cream yummy! I love this place, would go again, great for a dinner for two but also great for a dinner and/or lunch with friends.

1 Thank travelgirl2106

• Greek first
London
“Loved the decor, didn't love the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Went here to my birthday in December. It is a great little place - I loved the decor and the service was very good too. However the food was just ok. Not bad but not amazing. Still I'd say try it out,

Visited December 2011
2 Thank earoeira
Hoboken
“Excellent Restaurant Away From the City Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

The Laughing Gravy Restaurant was our favorite dinner on our trip to London. MAKE RESERVATIONS! My wife and I arrived at 7PM on a Saturday evening, and we were lucky to be seated at a bar table. The staff was very welcoming and kind. I started with a glass of Pimms and we got a bottle of wine (30GBP). We ordered the Truffled Potato Salad for a starter. I ordered the lamb dish with was very good. My wife ordered the Roasted Beef, which was prepared very well. I would order this dish if I ever make it back to London. We split the Milk Jam Ice Cream for dessert. It was small, but very rich and delicious. We ended up spending $85 GBP on the meal which was well worth it. The atmosphere was very nice.

1 Thank kris c
“In a word, Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

This restaurant was one of the best dining experiences we've had. The service was outstanding from the moment we walked in the door. (It's busy, make a reservation.) They seated us quickly, and immediately made us feel welcomed and important to them. I could give multiple examples, but perhaps the best one was the mini-wine tasting my girlfriend received to help her decide which wine to select. The waiter offered to let her try her selection, his suggestion, plus a third suggested by the owner. She ended up selecting the one from the owner that she never would have picked otherwise. All of this was done after she indicated she was only planning to buy a glass! The food was simply wonderful from start to finish. I had the roasted chicken and she had the scallops. We barely spoke once we started eating (a rarity for us) because the food was that good. This was perhaps the first time she actually finished her meal before me. We each had the molten brownie desert and it was also fantastic. The owner came and visited with us at the table; a nice finish to the excellent experience there. We cannot say enough about the owner, the staff, the food, or the overall wonderful evening we enjoyed there. If you have the chance, one of your London meals should definitely be taken here.

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

The food was very tasty and very fresh especially the razor clams! well priced, well standard pricing for London. i do not think it was to extravagant. The menu was nicely varied and everything we ate was cooked just right. Would definitely come back again but have a feeling that it is going to get busier and busier now that it is getting more well known!

• Visited March 2012