“A lovely atmosphere and impeccable service”
Review of Launceston Place

Launceston Place
Ranked #104 of 24,420 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$34 - US$94
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Nestled in the quaint residential streets of Kensington, Launceston Place is an award winning hidden gem. The Head Chef Ben Murphy, was named Chef to Watch 2016 by The Good Food Guide and took home the Breakthrough Chef of the Year gong at the Food & Travel Awards. The restaurant has received 2 AA Rosettes in 2017, while the wine list has won Tatler Best Wine List Award, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and Notable Wine List 2013 and 2014 by the AA guide. Open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and dinner all week (except Monday) Launceston Place attracts a loyal local following, as well as being a fantastic destination for visitors to this charming London neighbourhood.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have been to this restaurant many times now, and the food has been consistently interesting, well balanced and extremely well cooked. Though it may not be breaking any culinary boundaries, I have not yet been disappointed by anything I have eaten here.
The service is some of the finest of any restaurant I have eaten in - the waiters are present when they need to be but are not noticeable at other times. They are extremely polite and helpful as well. The sommelier is very knowledgeable and has picked some fantastic wines for us over time.
Lastly, and I think most importantly, the atmosphere in the restaurant is just perfect. The place is small without being cramped, perfectly lit, comfortable, stylish and most of all it is a lovely place to be with friends. One feels one can hold a conversation without having to shout or whisper, and the group feels relaxed at all times.

I can't recommend Launceston Place strongly enough!!

1  Thank EPBanks
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear EPBanks,

it's an incredibly satisfying feeling to read through the review of one of our guests and find everything we believe in and strive to achieve every day put into words.

I think your review perfectly sums up what an experience at Launceston Place is and I am very happy to hear that you keep returning back and, from the sound of your words, plan to do so again in the future.

A very heartfelt thank you from myself, Tim and all the staff at LP.
We will be looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went on Saturday night with friends . It's the tasting only menu on Saturday nights. So sensible ! We had the wine pairing option which was excellent and very well thought out . Great matches on every course . The food and service was outstanding as always. Post dinner we had a drink in the bar , and service seemed to deteriorate a little . Had to ask a couple of times to get after dinner drinks and 3 times for our bill with this waiting outside . Apart from that ,had a fab night .

1  Thank Jas0n

Dear Jason,

thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent visit to Launceston Place.
It is very nice to hear that you were so pleased with the food, wines and service and I definitely owe you an apology for the fact that the service tailored off when you moved to the lounge.

For your next visit at Launceston Place please make sure you book directly through me at matteoi@danddlondon.com, and I will make sure you will receive a seamless service...till the end.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have a group of friends, who visit different restaurants every few months, it was my turn to choose this time, and I'd been wanting to go to Launceston Place for a long time, I'm very glad we went, as this is one of the best restaurants I've been to. Initially we were a little concerned that the tasting menu was all that was available, but we needn't have been, each course was perfectly cooked, presented and explained and we were left full and satisfied. The staff were knowledgable but not stuffy, and the service was seamless.
My one little quibble was that the bottled water was replaced without any mention of how many bottles were used and least face it £24 is a lot to spend on water, I would have liked to have been asked as each bottle was opened, but this really was the only thing I'd be aware of.
I'd return here as a treat again, although not cheap, it really is worth every penny, the location is beautiful,this part of London is stunning , all in all a top choice

Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Jufleur,

first of all, thank you very much for choosing Launceston Place for your special dinner. In a city with such choice in terms of dining venues, being someone's preferred choice is a compliment itself.
It makes very happy to hear that you didn't regret your choice in any way and your experience with us was so enjoyable on every level.
I nevertheless feel the need to apologize for the lack of courtesy with the bottled water as replacing bottles without asking is definitely not part of our standards of service, and we always steer as far away as possible from the classic "up selling" techniques that have become so common nowadays. I really hope this didn't taint your opinion of Launceston Place and I hope we will have soon the pleasure of seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife has wanted to eat here, so what better place to have our first night out since our daughter was born. Delivers on every level, nice ambience, friendly staff, lovely food. Somehow manages to feel local and special at the same time. Highly recommend.

Dear Graham,

I am very glad that your recent visit left you and your wife thoroughly satisfied.
I am happy to hear that you thought Launceston Place strikes the right balance and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My partner and I had dinner last night (31.05.14) at this amazing restaurant with british cuisine and a hint of french. We had a nice round table near the window with sofas (so we were seating next to each other). The tasting menu was just amazing. All the flavors were perfect, every single dish was cooked at perfection-

The only let downs were that we had to wait 15 minutes to be seated (we booked in advance), we then waited 30 minutes to get started with the food.

Just a suggestion for the bread: a larger selection would be great.

Other then that we rate this restaurant our second favorite after Locanda Locatelli.

1  Thank Real5starlOVer
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Fausto,

thank you very much for spending a little of your time in reviewing your experience with us on Saturday.
I am very glad to hear that your experience was a very pleasant one. I am nevertheless disappointed to hear that you thought the service tainted the overall impression of Launceston Place.

I am sorry for the delay in showing you to your table. The only reason for your wait is that, being your booking towards the end of a very busy Saturday night, the only tables that were left when you came in, were not really our favourite ones.
As you mentioned that you knew our Head Sommelier personally, we wanted to give you a very special table and, coincidentally, our best table was about to be vacated when you came in and I decided to quickly set it up again sure that that will have made your experience a lot better.
I am very sorry that this came across as a lack of care and attention.
It's nice to see that you enjoyed the food and thank you for the lovely pictures.
Agustin, my sommelier, hopes that you have enjoyed the complimentary glasses of dessert wine and of the very premium Rioja '94 that we served during your meal, certainly a rare treat.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at LP and, next time, I promise you will receive a seamless service.