“Delicious dinner”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Nestled in the quaint residential streets of Kensington, Launceston Place is an award winning hidden gem. Passionate about using the best seasonal produce chef patron Raphael Francois and his team create a menu using simple and luxury ingredients alike. The restaurant has received 2 AA Rosettes in 2017, while the wine list has won Tatler Best Wine List Award, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and Notable Wine List 2013 and 2014 by the AA guide. Open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and dinner all week (except Monday) Launceston Place attracts a loyal local following, as well as being a fantastic destination for visitors to this charming London neighbourhood.
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

A table for 2 in this romantic restaurant is perfect for a wedding anniversary, as it was the case for us. Service was very present and dinner was delicious.

1  Thank pam-bzh
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Pam-bzh,

there is something incredibly rewarding in knowing that someone chose us to celebrate a special occasion and I am glad that we contributed to make it special.

I hope we will have more occasions to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have lunched here twice in the last month, and on both occasions have a had a wonderful time. The service is second to none, professional and yet welcoming and friendly. The set lunch menu is a great choice and for starters, the duck egg as well as the spring salad, are favourites. I ordered the sole on both occasions and probably would do so again .They have an amazing wine list, it is top end, in what is on offer and on price, but with the help of the sommelier we enjoyed a really good Chablis. We were seated at the round table by the window - a perfect setting and can think of no better way to while away an after noon in June.

1  Thank Roisin C

Dear Roisin,

thank you very much from all the team for you very kind comments.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your lunch with us and I sincerely hope you will come and visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Visited here for our anniversary and decided to come for lunch and had a fantastic time. Firstly - the service is fantastic, really professional, always there when you need them, not there when you don't.

There are a couple of options available - a la carte, the 'market menu' and the Sunday lunch menu.I ordered off the market menu and my husband off the Sunday lunch menu. Both meals were absolutely fantastic but I think that the Sunday lunch is hard to beat. It's extraordinarily good value for what you get. 3 courses - all of excellent quality, but the main course really is quite something - a huge portion of melting meat and fantastic vegetables - and 2 of the biggest Yorkshire puddings I have every seen.

If you're a cheese lover you're in for treat - the selection is amazing. there was a supplement on the cheese course, but was happy to pay - you can choose your own or tell the staff what you like and they'll make you a selection - I chose the latter option and it was spot on.

We had a long leisurely lunch - and tottered out 3 hours after we came in, incredibly well fed and happy.

Downsides: The lack of reasonably priced bottles - or really many under £50 on what is an extensive and somewhat intimidating wine list for someone of my limited knowledge and experience, was a bit of a shame. Also - the toilets are down a bit of a dark staircase and are a bit dingy. (which was weird because the actual restaurant environs are lovely).

Definitely would return for Sunday lunch - but I think we'll be back for a try of the tasting menu sometime!

2  Thank KTuck78

Dear KTuck78

thank you very much for your lovely review on TripAdvisor. I am really glad to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your Sunday afternoon with us.

The Sunday lunch is surely great value for money, but coming back for the tasting menu is a very good idea, as that is definitely the best experience you can have with us.

I am sorry to hear that you found our wine list lacked of reasonably priced bottles but that happens really only in the most premium regions like Bordeaux or Burgundy, while overall we have 80 different wines priced below £50, over a wine list of 350 references.
My sommelier is extremely passionate about his job and is always more than delighted to help you feel less intimidated by the wine list, giving you assistance and advice and, whenever possible, making you discover new things.

I hope we will see you soon, whether for another Sunday lunch or for the tasting menu.

Many thanks again

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Launceston Place is one of our top London restaurants. This restaurant offers excellent food, wine and service surrounded by a lovely atmosphere. I could find no faults in this restaurant and with three courses for £ 95 it’s a great deal for this Michelin-starred restaurant in the heart of London's South Kensington.

1  Thank AustinGentleman
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear AustinGentleman,

thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review.

We firmly believe we provide a very good value for money considering the current fine dining scene in London. Nowadays it is indeed fairly difficult to enjoy a Michelin Star experience in London for less than £100, and at £52 for 3 courses our offer is definitely very competitive.

I hope we will have other occasions in the near future to welcome you.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

On a recent trip to London for Wimbledon, we dined at Launceston Place. Firstly, the staff was as good as any we've experienced. The noise level which in today's resturant as theatre was outstanding in that it allowed for conversation but there was also wonderful atmosphere. Most importantly, the food was phenomenal. First the bread, both sourdough and caramelized onion are not to be missed even if you've basically given up bread which I have. Then we had the tasting menu which was paired with outstanding wines from around the globe, some of which we would never tried without the assistance and deep explanation from the staff. This is a resturant that should not be missed.

1  Thank Ahg2

Dear Ahg2,

such a complimentary review, especially from a seasoned traveler and diner like you, is certainly very much appreciated and makes all our staff proud of what they do.

I sincerely hope we will have another occasion to welcome you on your next visit to London.