“Polished food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Launceston Place

Launceston Place
Ranked #58 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$32 - US$90
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Nestled in the quaint residential streets of Kensington, Launceston Place is an award winning hidden gem. Passionate about using the best seasonal produce chef patron Raphael Francois and his team create a menu using simple and luxury ingredients alike. The restaurant has received 2 AA Rosettes in 2017, while the wine list has won Tatler Best Wine List Award, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and Notable Wine List 2013 and 2014 by the AA guide. Open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and dinner all week (except Monday) Launceston Place attracts a loyal local following, as well as being a fantastic destination for visitors to this charming London neighbourhood.
London, United Kingdom
“Polished food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Came here during a boiling hot day for lunch, lovely air conditioned space with well trained staff, the tasting menu was very accomplished and very generous in size. One fun issue, I think they used jalapeño's instead of padron peppers, (as everyone's "padron" was viciously hot, and the shape gave it away as well) which made for a very interesting experience!
Will most definitely return.

• Visited July 2014
Dear Fu-dog70,

it is very nice to hear that you enjoyed our tasting menu, thank you very much for taking the time to share this with the TripAdvisor community.

Padron peppers can be very hot, normally 1 out of 4-5 are, and it looks like on the day it was just an unfortunate coincidence that the whole table had hot ones.
I can promise though that it wasn't Jalapeno peppers, as they are very different in shape and could not be mistaken for Padrons.

We will be looking forward to your return.

• Korean first
Ixelles, Belgium
“Delicious dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

A table for 2 in this romantic restaurant is perfect for a wedding anniversary, as it was the case for us. Service was very present and dinner was delicious.

1 Thank pam-bzh
Dear Pam-bzh,

there is something incredibly rewarding in knowing that someone chose us to celebrate a special occasion and I am glad that we contributed to make it special.

I hope we will have more occasions to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
“Lunch for two- delicious !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have lunched here twice in the last month, and on both occasions have a had a wonderful time. The service is second to none, professional and yet welcoming and friendly. The set lunch menu is a great choice and for starters, the duck egg as well as the spring salad, are favourites. I ordered the sole on both occasions and probably would do so again .They have an amazing wine list, it is top end, in what is on offer and on price, but with the help of the sommelier we enjoyed a really good Chablis. We were seated at the round table by the window - a perfect setting and can think of no better way to while away an after noon in June.

1 Thank Roisin C
Dear Roisin,

thank you very much from all the team for you very kind comments.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your lunch with us and I sincerely hope you will come and visit us again in the near future.

London
“Excellent for Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Visited here for our anniversary and decided to come for lunch and had a fantastic time. Firstly - the service is fantastic, really professional, always there when you need them, not there when you don't.

There are a couple of options available - a la carte, the 'market menu' and the Sunday lunch menu.I ordered off the market menu and my husband off the Sunday lunch menu. Both meals were absolutely fantastic but I think that the Sunday lunch is hard to beat. It's extraordinarily good value for what you get. 3 courses - all of excellent quality, but the main course really is quite something - a huge portion of melting meat and fantastic vegetables - and 2 of the biggest Yorkshire puddings I have every seen.

If you're a cheese lover you're in for treat - the selection is amazing. there was a supplement on the cheese course, but was happy to pay - you can choose your own or tell the staff what you like and they'll make you a selection - I chose the latter option and it was spot on.

We had a long leisurely lunch - and tottered out 3 hours after we came in, incredibly well fed and happy.

Downsides: The lack of reasonably priced bottles - or really many under £50 on what is an extensive and somewhat intimidating wine list for someone of my limited knowledge and experience, was a bit of a shame. Also - the toilets are down a bit of a dark staircase and are a bit dingy. (which was weird because the actual restaurant environs are lovely).

Definitely would return for Sunday lunch - but I think we'll be back for a try of the tasting menu sometime!

2 Thank KTuck78
Dear KTuck78

thank you very much for your lovely review on TripAdvisor. I am really glad to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your Sunday afternoon with us.

The Sunday lunch is surely great value for money, but coming back for the tasting menu is a very good idea, as that is definitely the best experience you can have with us.

I am sorry to hear that you found our wine list lacked of reasonably priced bottles but that happens really only in the most premium regions like Bordeaux or Burgundy, while overall we have 80 different wines priced below £50, over a wine list of 350 references.
My sommelier is extremely passionate about his job and is always more than delighted to help you feel less intimidated by the wine list, giving you assistance and advice and, whenever possible, making you discover new things.

I hope we will see you soon, whether for another Sunday lunch or for the tasting menu.

Many thanks again
Austin
“One of London's Best Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Launceston Place is one of our top London restaurants. This restaurant offers excellent food, wine and service surrounded by a lovely atmosphere. I could find no faults in this restaurant and with three courses for £ 95 it’s a great deal for this Michelin-starred restaurant in the heart of London's South Kensington.

1 Thank AustinGentleman
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear AustinGentleman,

thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review.

We firmly believe we provide a very good value for money considering the current fine dining scene in London. Nowadays it is indeed fairly difficult to enjoy a Michelin Star experience in London for less than £100, and at £52 for 3 courses our offer is definitely very competitive.

I hope we will have other occasions in the near future to welcome you.