“A lovely, proper British experience”
Review of Launceston Place

Launceston Place
Ranked #75 of 23,009 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$32 - US$91
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: Nestled in the quaint residential streets of Kensington, Launceston Place is an award winning hidden gem. Passionate about using the best seasonal produce chef patron Raphael Francois and his team create a menu using simple and luxury ingredients alike. The restaurant has received 2 AA Rosettes in 2017, while the wine list has won Tatler Best Wine List Award, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and Notable Wine List 2013 and 2014 by the AA guide. Open for lunch Wednesday to Sunday and dinner all week (except Monday) Launceston Place attracts a loyal local following, as well as being a fantastic destination for visitors to this charming London neighbourhood.
Copenhagen, Denmark
“A lovely, proper British experience”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We visited Launceston Place for lunch and since we had a quite early dinner booking as well, we followed their advice and went for a la carte choices instead of a tasting menu.

The decor is conservative but charming. The staff chatty, polite (except for one, acting as if work there was a big ordeal to her) and knowledgeable both about the menu and the city and what it has to offer. We ordered a bottle of chablis that turned out to be decent quality. Then came the scallops and mackerel tartare, both delicious. For mains we chose the veal rump and the wagyu beef. The veal rump was one of the best I have ever eaten, but wagyu was not anywhere near the wagyu I tried in Singapore which remains the best so far. I dont know if it is my bad luck in Europe, or the beef here is just not on par with Asia.

Not giving highest rating because of the wagyu quality and one of the staff, a tall, dark haired, foreign lady with a quite obnoxious and cold attitude, a sore spot among other ladies and gents in there. Overall, a great choice for either lunch or dinner though.

• Visited July 2014
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Nat,

thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback about your recent visit at Launceston Place.
I am very glad to read that this was mostly positive and I am sorry for the two issues you have highlighted.

All my staff are genuinely lovely people with a lot of passion for what they do and I am very sorry that what was probably a bad day for one of them resulted in an unpleasant experience for you. This should certainly never happen and there are no excuses for what was, regrettably, a sour note on an otherwise good experience. Nevertheless I can personally guarantee that the young lady in question loves her job and is a great asset to our team and, even if she came across as a little "cold" during your visit, I would definitely never go as far as defining her "obnoxious".

In regards to the Wagyu beef we can definitely appreciate the fact that some of the samples you might have tried in Asia were better than the one you had with us, but at the same time we have a fixed priced menu and no supplements on any of our dishes, this means that we cannot afford to buy the highest quality in terms of score and marbling if we want to give our guests a n acceptable portion of it.

I hope we will soon have the pleasure of having you back with us and I promise that we will do everything possible to make it up for the two "missteps".

• Korean first
“A very happy birthday”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Having worked in Kensington years ago I had fond memories of Launceston Place. Returning for a birthday meal I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that it had only improved with age. The food was wonderful and the service excellent. I would definitely recommend it to friends, especially the cheese and wine flight!

Visited August 2014
Matteo I, Manager at Launceston Place, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear Rowann01,

it's very nice to hear that you thought Launceston Place improved, it is surely an iconic restaurant and we are delighted to be able to make it a worthy successor to its previous incarnations.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Many thanks
London, United Kingdom
“One of my London's favourites”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Attentive staff: they have a lot of languages covered by the waiters so that they can talk to you in your native language.

Very good food: the tasting menu is one of the best in town, extremely well balanced between quality and quantity. And not restrictive as well, they are more then happy to change it for you and accommodate any request.

Plus they have amazing non alcoholic cocktails (which is a big plus if you don't drink alcohol).

And it's close to home. What else?

• Visited July 2014
Dear Fabio,

in such a cosmopolitan city as London it is definitely useful to be able to help your guests in their own language or just to make them feel more "at home".

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your tasting menu and I can definitely say that in its latest version it has gone up another step with some brand new dishes.

I hope you will be back to try it soon.

Many thanks
pontllyfni
“this is how every restaurant should be”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Perfection in fine dining with faultless food and service. I honestly cannot think of anything that could be improved upon.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank tylluan
Dear Tylluan,

this is definitely how every review should be and we will keep striving to make it so every day with the best possible food, service and value.

Many thanks for your great review, I hope we will have the pleasure of having you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Quite literally, "the best food I have ever tasted".”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Those were the words I found myself saying to my partner as each course came to the table. We had the most wonderful, relaxed and delicious Sunday afternoon we could have wished for. We had the Market Menu and were blown away by the quality of the food and service. What a lovely neighborhood local. From the canapes to the amuse bouche and right through to dessert, things just got better and better. The Hand Dived Scallop starter was just a revelation and Great Garnett Pork a taste experience I will savor for a long time. Paired with exquisite wines (the Riesling Botrytis dessert wine - not even on the wine list - which was recommended by the wonderful sommelier was incredible). A very welcoming atmosphere and staff that have clearly been trained to the highest standards made for a memorable experience. I (we) have dined at a good number of popular fine dining restaurants and can honestly say, this was a cut above the rest. Not the cheapest of experiences, but worth EVERY penny. Without doubt, the jewel in D & D's ever expanding empire.

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank Peter S
Dear Peter,

I am very happy to hear that you and Helen enjoyed so much your lunch with us.
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a complimentary review.

I am very sorry that we couldn't treat you to our Tasting Menu due to the late booking but I hope we will have you back soon for it.