“Perfect for a romantic meal”
Review of Le Chardon

Le Chardon
Ranked #12,635 of 22,822 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect for a romantic meal”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We went end of September, it was a nice atmosphere, great service and it is worth travelling a bit to get there. We did public transport as we don't live in Dulwich and wanted to take advantage of the nice wine. The food was gorgeous. We will definitely go again for another special meal out.

• Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Yet another "Amazon " voucher!!!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

At lunchtime on Thursday, 12/12/13, we approached "Le Chardon" with some trepidation, after having read so many negative reviews, clutching our "Amazon" voucher. We were welcomed by two members of staff who would later prove to be attentive and friendly, so much so that we learnt that their names were Will and Romain. We were promptly served with our glass of champagne, which we followed with French onion soup, and whilst my partner enjoyed her calves' liver, I settled for haddock filet. We both finished our meals with tarte Tatin.
Having enjoyed meals at the likes of "Le Manoir", "Claridges" and "The Savoy" and to the other end of the scale, various 'Sweaty Betty-type' eateries around the UK, I can honestly say, 'hand on heart', that eating at "Le Chardon" was, indeed, a pleasant experience.
What about value for money? Well, we paid £29.00 for two glasses of champagne and two 3-course meals, making 8 items in all, which I calculate at £3.625 per item. To my mind, that is good value!
May I suggest to future reviewers that before rushing to put your complaints online, you merely have a quiet word with the staff, and if they are anything like Will or Romain, I sure that they will deal with your problem. REMEMBER, that in these austere times, in order to stay in business,
"Le Chardon" needs to encourage customers - not scare them away!
Fortunately, when we left at around 2.30pm, the restaurant was busy!
So with that in mind, would we return to "Le Chardon" for another meal?
The answer is, without doubt, YES!

• Visited December 2013
London
“Terrible food = will never return”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have been looking for a cosy French restaurant in East Dulwich for a while but sadly I will need to keep on looking as this place is terrible. The smoked duck starter was literally covered in dressing (2 different types of dressing as well!), the coq au vin was bland, without seasoning and where was the red wine? It lacked any depth of flavour and I could cook it a million times better myself. The dessert was so average it doesn't deserve a description. We did not have a voucher so we paid a lot of money for this awful meal - in excess of £130. On the plus side, the red wine was delicious. I will never go back to Le Chardon and judging from the other reviews on here, I would advise anyone with a discernible palate to look elsewhere because this is French food at it's worst.

For lovely food and service I would recommend the cosy (albeit Italian) restaurant opposite Peckham Rye station. It's probably what you're looking for in Le Chardon but sadly won't find.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank londonlollipop
London, United Kingdom
“Voucher visit= 2nd Rate Customer”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My partner lives on the same street that this quaint little restaurant is situated on, having walked past on numerous occasions we always admired the aesthetics of the place and mentioned how we'd like to give it a try. Then seeing that groupon were running a voucher it was our ideal chance to visit! How disappointed we were. Entering the restaurant on a quiet Saturday night (lots of tables empty) we were told very rudely by the manager that we 'Should have booked and they couldn't accommodate us', this was after us showing our voucher. When my partner commented on the empty tables we were then given a seat. We waited for over x15 mins to be served as the staff took their time laying cutlery out on empty tables and chatting to each other in the hallway. We then ordered wine which was plonked down on the table and not served to us, we had only a singular wine glass between the two of us and upon asking for another we then waited an extra x10mins for it to arrive. The food itself was in the most tiny portions imaginable with my partners main course being only lukewarm. Whenever we required service we were told to 'wait'. What a disappointment on what could have been a lovely evening. I truly believe that the staff are very 'anti-voucher', snobbish and really do not want to be there. WASTE OF MONEY.

• Visited June 2013
6 Thank AmyBlease
“THEY DO NOT LIKE VOUCHERS! WILL GIVE YOU FROZEN CHIPS”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We decided to have dinner at Le Chardon East Dulwich.
(GREAT as we had a birthday dinner a few months ago and it was really good, but we paid full price NO VOUCHER.)
This time we had a voucher and we got Attitude once we told the waiter with blonde hair.
But it got worst when we got our dinner served and you could clearly see the steaks were the smallest size available and it looked like a KIDS MEAL.
BUT JUST TO ROUND IT UP WE EVEN GOT FROZEN CHIPS WITH THE STEAKS.
Hope the take it on board as they already had to close the Clapham restaurant.

• Visited August 2013