“WOW just WOW”

Le Gavroche
Ranked #40 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“WOW just WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We went to Le Gavroche restaurant for my birthday dinner on the 23rd of August, from the moment we walked through the front door you could tell we were going to be treated with a top quality meal and service.

We enjoyed a nice glass of house champagne in the bar with some nibbles brought to us, after our drinks and 10 minutes to browse the wine and food menu we were directed to our table downstairs, as soon as you enter the restaurant you realise the history that resides within this room, the décor is plush and relaxed.

Once seated the wine we chose upstairs was bought to the table, my partner tasted the wine and to be honest the sommelier looked a bit perplexed that I had asked the lady to taste the wine, myself I am a real ale drinker and as much as I enjoy wine with a meal my partner was more experienced in wine. We had also picked the Menu Exceptionnel while enjoying our pre-dinner drink to which I must say the waiter was absolutely fantastic in taking into account my partner dietary requirements (No fish, Seafood) and suggested 3 changes.

The meal itself from the Cheese Soufflé through to the cheese board was fantastic, every course looked amazing and tasted so much better.

In a few of the reviews on this site people mention that men must wear there jacket through the meal, this is correct and male guests are required to wear a jacket, this worried me before we arrived as I am naturally a warm person and find eating when hot difficult and uncomfortable. All my fears were averted though as the bar and restaurant were at a very comfortable temperature level and in no way did I feel I would like to remove the jacket, also my partner who didn’t wear a jacket said she was very comfortable the temperature.

To conclude I couldn’t recommend this restaurant more, the whole experience was superb from start to finish, Thank You Michel Roux and all the staff for making what I hoped would be a superb meal into a fantastic and unforgettable one.

2 Thank Simon T

• Thai first
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Exellent Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Yet again the visit here was great, have to say the value for money is fantastic a 3 course set menu with wine,water and coffee at there price in London is good but combine the whole experience and its simply amazing(some other so called top restaurants should take note),What can i add to other reviews the setting,staff and food just 5* all the way,A big thank you to all the team there

1 Thank 1962SWA
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Simply exquisite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I dined here for lunch on a recent short break to London. Before going in I was somewhat nervous about dining in such a revered and famous establishment. I’ve eaten in quite a few fine dining restaurants in the past, but this felt like a step into the unknown.

Let me assure anyone else who might have similar feelings to this - from the minute we entered to the moment we left – the wonderful staff made us feel welcome and comfortable. There was nothing stuffy, pretentious or needlessly showy. It was a fantastic experience, and truly one of the highlights of our trip.

The service was impeccable, and the food was everything you would expect (and more) from a two Michelin starred restaurant.

We were shown to our table in the downstairs dining room, and the immediate impression is one of old-world sophistication and style. The immaculate décor, the ambient lighting and plush interiors all add to the classic French elegance.

We ordered from the lunch menu, which consists of three courses, half a bottle of wine and half a bottle of water per diner. It also includes canapés whilst you peruse the menu, an amuse-bouche after you have ordered, and coffee and petit-fours at the end of the meal.

For starters we had the tomato carpaccio and the sautéed calamari, and for mains we had the calf liver and confit duck leg. The food was sensational. The calamari may well be one of the nicest dishes I have ever eaten. If you order the cheese or the ice cream for dessert, a vast selection are wheeled to your table on trollies for you to make your choice. It is another nice touch.

The bill for dining off this lunch menu is £54 per person. In my opinion this is outstanding value, for this was easily one of the best meals I have ever eaten.

1 Thank Mr_and_Mrs_P121212
London, United Kingdom
“Sensational!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

After Taste of London, I took my John for his Birthday celebration! We loved it. Thank You as you made it very special not only for him but also for me! Great spot, amazing food, fantastic wine, very professional and friendly service! Thank You!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Karolina W
Melbourne, Australia
“Our favourite restaurant in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

We've been to all 3-Michelin starred restaurants in the UK, plus a few others in the world, and Le Gavroche surpasses them all. The food is classic, no liquid nitrogen or theatrical fanfares, but very, very well-done. We tried out other restaurants but for special occasions we always come back to Le Gavroche for the amazing souffle and one-of-a-kind crumbed egg. We also love the fact that Michel Roux Jr would come to every table to say hello and a friendly chat. We could not recommend Le Gavroche highly enough!

• Visited December 2013