“Fantastic food and service”
Review of Locanda Locatelli

Locanda Locatelli
Ranked #602 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Took my wife here for her birthday. Decision was based purely on watching Giorgio cook on his Italy Unpacked TV programme. Our expectation was a five star meal and service, but have often been disappointed when expecting the best. We should not have doubted. We had all four courses and experienced sublime flavours, unusual combinations and excellent attentive, but not intrusive service, especially from Marco. Great choice of wines by the glass, with excellent recommendations for a different glass with each course from the sommelier. The broad bean and ewe cheese salad was wonderful. Excellent oxtail ravioli and superb roast veal. Finally the sublime Gorgonzola panna cotta. Thoroughly recommended. Expensive but worth every penny.

1  Thank ChrisSouthampton
There are newer reviews for Locanda Locatelli

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I took my wife here on 50th birthday. We have been a couple of times before with friends over the last 10 years, but always save it for a treat. The food as previously was outstanding. I had the two specials; beef carpacio with lemon dressing, rocket and parmesan followed by papadelle pasts with St George mushrooms; the beef really did melt in the mouth and the pasta was just as you experience in Italy through which I have travelled extensively. My wife had linguine with spring vegetables and then roasted monkfish; both fantastic, but the pasta was the most noticeable with incredible freshness to the vegetables. We followed this with two delicious desserts - Amalfi lemon Eton mess and Rhubarb and Strawberry compote, passion fruit jelly with yoghurt ice cream, both perfect but the Rhubarb/strawberry choice was slightly the winner. We also had a glass of prosecco to start and then a glass of white and red wine respectively.
Service was excellent by very knowledgeable, firendly Italian staff. The wine waiter, who was a little more mature, was a little less friendly which I put down to us ordering by the glass than bottle.
In food terms this is as good as it gets and the plate sizes were spot on. I'm yet to find a better restaurant in the UK. 3 courses, 2 glasses of wine each, bottled water and coffees came to £146 + tip.

1  Thank ChaletChevran
Reviewed 28 April 2014

To be honest, you could stop with the bread basket. The selection was wonderful! But then so was everything else, including service and ambiance. A seriously upmarket Italian restaurant!!!

1  Thank Henry L
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We went there for lunch on a weekend. Due to taxi and traffic issues we ended up being an hour late, but the staff was so lovely and friendly and it was absolutely no problem.
I liked the ambiance, which was very understated and had a calming effect, especially when you just rushed around London in mad traffic. The staff made us feel extremely welcomed but was never overpowering. We had a Spritz as an aperitiv, followed by a buffalo mozzarella salad, where the mozzarella could have been a little bit softer. my husbands bean salad was apparently very pleasing. The food was beautifully presented and the half bottle of wine complimented it perfectly. I had pasta as a main and my husband the pigeon. The tagliatelle were perfectly cooked, smooth with bite and the portion size just right. I loved the broad bean sauce! My husband enjoyed his pigeon on lentils.
What was particularly nice was that you were in such a fabulous restaurant, but it also felt very laid back and relaxed. I loved the combination of fantastic service, in a calm environment, combined with outstanding food and everything together felt very easy and complaisant. Thank you for a lovely lunch!

1  Thank Tilgner
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our dining experience was to say the least uninspiring. Maybe it is because we live in a city with a strong Italian culinary heritage and maybe it is because my dining companion is of Italian decent.

But this has to rate as one of the worst examples of Italian cuisine we have every come across which has a Michelin rating. It is just plain ordinary. One would rate it higher but its reputation does not live up tot he delivery.

The wine list whilst extensive but overall uninspiring and expensive for what is on offer. The pasta was quite good and the sauces up to the mark BUT the seafood mains we chose were very pedestrian.

The service was one of those "up selling experiences". Never pleasant for a customer as you feel you are being put upon. Further the waiting could be best described was slapdash with a flair. Added to this was the feeling that we were being pushed out to turn the table over for another sitting. One understands the economics of running a restaurant but how you go about this is the difference between a good operation and something that comes across as unfriendly where you are made to feel like a number.

This gets a mark down on the seafood and the service.