“What fish & chips should be”

North Sea Fish Restaurant
Ranked #393 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Toronto
“What fish & chips should be”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I've been here a few times since the late 80s and each time has been great. Most recently was two weeks ago when I was in London on business. Most times I've gone to the takeaway shop but once in the 90s I ate in the restaurant. Both are great.

Service is fast and friendly and the quality is excellent. The only think I don't like is the fact they leave the skin on... but that's just me.

It's a short walk from many of the hotels in Russell Square and its definitly worth the trip.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes
“Unsatisfactory experience October 2010”
Reviewed 15 October 2010

When I complained earlier this week about the 7 LARGE BONES in my portion of fried cod, the response was, "It happens at times." No concern. No apology. I will not be eating here again, and I cannot recommend it to you. The fish itself was adequately cooked and fresh enough but, bones aside, most definitely NOT the best fish & chips I have had in the UK! Disappointing in every way.

UK
“Great find”
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I only have Fish Central to compare this to in London. Food on a par, although the range of specials is not as wide or exotic. However, the atmosphere is warmer than Fish Central, which is more than a little clinical and the staff are very welcoming. Good range of bottled beers, and bizarrely a selection of malt whiskies, which seem unlikely companions for fish & chips. Well worth a visit.

London, United Kingdom
“A touch disappointing given previous reviews”
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I eat at Northsea last night with a non meat eating colleague from our US office, who was delighted to be going to a "proper English fish and chip restaurant".

I think he really enjoyed his meal - sardines followed by fried sole - but I frankly had expected better of the rock salmon I had. I don't usually have fried fish these days but as I have not had rock salmon for years I tried it. It was ok, but nothing special. A little too much batter (although not greasy at all) and not enough fish. The chips were great but - as my colleague had never tried them - the mushy peas we had were not a patch on what one would get "oop north".

That said, I am not put off any will try again.

Recommend? Probably, as value for money.

Columbia, MO
“A Neighborheed Gem”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

After a day of sightseeing, what a pleasure to step into this Bloomsbury neighborhood restaurant. Nothing fancy...just very well done. Diners seemed to be regulars and wait staff seemed to be family-very friendly, efficient-but knowing most of the diners. Both my husband and I began with one of the starters on the specials menu- salmon fishcake with salad and brie covered in breadcrumbs and fried, accompanied by salad. Both were delicious. Husband raved over his salmon fishcake. For mains, husband ordered the special grilled sea bass in a cream sauce with boiled new potatoes. I had the traditional fish (halibut) and chips-exceptional. North Sea has a nice wine menu and the Australian chardonnay we ordered, paired wonderfully with our food. Portions were large so too full for dessert. North Sea is the "real deal." When in London again, we would return without hesitation. Probably the best fish and chips I have ever had!