“Even Better than Before” 5 of 5 bubbles

Marcus
Ranked #180 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$62 - US$624
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Description: The two Michelin starred Marcus (formerly Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley) reopened in March 2014 following a stunning refurbishment, bringing a relaxed formality to the dining experience in a new, elegant and contemporary setting. With Marcus at the helm, working closely with Head Chef, Mark Froydenlund, the heart of the food remains the same, delivering modern European menus with British influence using the highest quality produce, creative thought and exacting execution.
London, United Kingdom
“Even Better than Before”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Having eaten here a few times previously I wondered what effect the recent changes might have on the food, service and ambience. As another reviewer has remarked ' it is even better' Debatable I feel, but certainly no worse. The food has always been exquisite, the service discreet and attentive. The ambience...well what would one expect. A tad formal. I hosted a lunch for 8 including me. All my guests said how wonderful the food was likewise the wines. I would, however, like to say that I consider them over priced. One of my common complaints. The sommelier gave us good advice, but, if you don't know your wines, be careful. The list had some good cheaper alternatives.
When dining in such places try the tasting menus. Far more fun.
It's far from cheap so if it's not being paid for by someone else, make sure you save up to fully enjoy the experience. Also don't worry about your attire. Smart casual is 'de rigueur'

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
“A new dining room, more clarity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have dined at Marcus Wareing a couple of times prior to their refurbishment but this was the first time in the new dining room. What is apparent is the dining room is a lot brighter and a lot more spacious.
With the new more relaxed concept, the restaurant has also done away with the other extras, namely the amuse bouche and pre-desserts. Canapes are still offered to enjoy with a glass of champagne. I'm not too fussed these omissions since I find that in England, they tend to be rather boring and predictable. (In Paris, they are almost a meal unto itself). Still, I find this rather odd given the restaurant's location and formal service.
We went ALC and opted for 4 courses so that we could try a wider variety of dishes. What I was pleasantly surprised with was the cooking which was more restrained. There was still plenty of technique and work put onto the plate but more importantly there was a remarkable amount of clarity with each dish. Some of the dishes could easily have come out of a 3* kitchen in Paris.
I don't normally comment on service but the level of service was exceptional and hence deserves a special mention.
We will definitely be back soon!

London, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian tasting menu fantastic, atmosphere lovely and relaxed but service not as good....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Went for dinner with partner. We were a bit early so had a drink in the blue bar, which was lovely. Shown to our table and noted that the atmosphere was really quite relaxed for this type of restuarant with people having fun and chatting. We went for the vegetarian tasting menu with the wines to accompany it. The food was fantastic and showed a really good understanding of food and use of vegetables. Some of the wines that went with the food did not work, but others were superb and clearly had been thought about. The only complaint that I would have related to the waiting staff of the restaurant as well as the sommelier. We sat down to eat at 20:45 and finished after 23:15. Now I know that these were eight small dishes, but the time taken for each course to arrive was quite ridiculous. Several times the wine that went with that course had been poured and drunk before the food arrived (at least twenty minutes between wine being poured and the food arriving). In addition, it was impossible to understand most of the staff. In terms of the sommelier, he did give an impression that we are not very welcome, although to be fair that did improve later in the evening when my partner commented that she had in fact visitied the location where one of the wines had come from....

Overall though a really amazing evening food wise.

“Bring your piggy bank”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The ultimate summer treat was to bring my 3 children to the Michelin Marcus restaurant-- little did I know I didn't do Michelin Speak!! The waiter offered a raspberry lemonade for the 3 boys and myself and when I got the bill the cost was £52 or $87 for the round of 4. When I called to complain a week later the manager told me that because the lemonade had a sprig of mint, a twist of lime and 2 raspberries each that made it a soft cocktail!!!!
It was a great lesson to the children to look for hidden costs and never be to afraid to speak up when being ripped off.

I think Ill go back to Yautcha in Soho or Le Gaveroche where they love introducing children to fine food without making Mom a Fool.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Laurie B
Bath, United Kingdom
“We were disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We travelled up to London and stayed at The Langham just to eat at this restaurant but went away disappointed. The room was very nice so that was a plus but as soon as we had opened the wine list the sommelier came over and despite me saying we did not need advice immediately pointed to 3 wines at £650+ a bottle and pronounced them very nice!! We have eaten in more than 90 Michelin restaurants in the last 5 years and this is not good behaviour. I told him we were not looking to spend that much and his next offer was £360. Enough said. There was no amuse-bouche which we think is a shame. Bread was okay but not great and the food presentation was average. Certainly not befitting a 2* and we had little attention and explanation from the staff. Dinner for 2 with wine was almost £400 and we were gone in less than 2 hours. Not a great experience sadly

1 Thank johnzbath

Been to Marcus? Share your experiences!