“Mostly excellent.”

Price range: US$66 - US$664
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Description: One of London’s most acclaimed restaurants, Marcus combines two Michelin-starred cooking with a relaxed, contemporary space. With Marcus Wareing at the helm, working closely with head chef Mark Froydenlund, modern British food using the highest quality produce is executed to exacting standards, to evoke and create lasting memories. Dining options include À La Carte, Taste and Lunch menus, a spectacular Chef’s Table for up to 10 guests – the best food theatre in London – and The Salon, an elegant private dining room, flooded with natural light, for groups of up to 16.
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

So Marcus Wareing has re opened his restaurant at the Berkley, now renamed MARCUS. Hell knows why - I can only presume a square specticalled marketing 'dude' thought it would keep the place 'relevant'/ some other st**e to precipitate his large consultancy fee for the rebrand.

Happily square specticalled man hasn't changed too much in the restaurant.

What I do think is he has the finest brigade of front of house staff going. No sycophants, just naturally comfortable but highly professional.

We went for lunch, hoping to snag a bargain in this 2* joint (or it was prior to rebrand, who knows now?!).

Food; tasting plate - 6 - 10£ on top of the £38 set lunch menu - historically good goats curd, would go back for a bottle of red and large portion of this divine concoction!

Mackerel - excellent, interesting, never had the combination before but want more!

Lamb main course - poor in every facet, small portion, fatty in an un-rendered type fashion. Forgettable, and couldn't fathom how if if were perfectly it was due its place on the menu.

Cheese (+£12) - fantastic introduction to new cheeses that obviously should accompany a great meal.

Desert - chocolate and cherry - the most beautiful looking desert I have ever seen, taste not too far off.

Overall the lunch was absolutely fantastic, the disappointment of the lamb can be forgiven with one of the best dining rooms I have ever been in, complimented buy similarly superb service.

2  Thank FreddieTheHedeghog

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Having eaten here a few times previously I wondered what effect the recent changes might have on the food, service and ambience. As another reviewer has remarked ' it is even better' Debatable I feel, but certainly no worse. The food has always been exquisite, the service discreet and attentive. The ambience...well what would one expect. A tad formal. I hosted a lunch for 8 including me. All my guests said how wonderful the food was likewise the wines. I would, however, like to say that I consider them over priced. One of my common complaints. The sommelier gave us good advice, but, if you don't know your wines, be careful. The list had some good cheaper alternatives.
When dining in such places try the tasting menus. Far more fun.
It's far from cheap so if it's not being paid for by someone else, make sure you save up to fully enjoy the experience. Also don't worry about your attire. Smart casual is 'de rigueur'

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have dined at Marcus Wareing a couple of times prior to their refurbishment but this was the first time in the new dining room. What is apparent is the dining room is a lot brighter and a lot more spacious.
With the new more relaxed concept, the restaurant has also done away with the other extras, namely the amuse bouche and pre-desserts. Canapes are still offered to enjoy with a glass of champagne. I'm not too fussed these omissions since I find that in England, they tend to be rather boring and predictable. (In Paris, they are almost a meal unto itself). Still, I find this rather odd given the restaurant's location and formal service.
We went ALC and opted for 4 courses so that we could try a wider variety of dishes. What I was pleasantly surprised with was the cooking which was more restrained. There was still plenty of technique and work put onto the plate but more importantly there was a remarkable amount of clarity with each dish. Some of the dishes could easily have come out of a 3* kitchen in Paris.
I don't normally comment on service but the level of service was exceptional and hence deserves a special mention.
We will definitely be back soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Went for dinner with partner. We were a bit early so had a drink in the blue bar, which was lovely. Shown to our table and noted that the atmosphere was really quite relaxed for this type of restuarant with people having fun and chatting. We went for the vegetarian tasting menu with the wines to accompany it. The food was fantastic and showed a really good understanding of food and use of vegetables. Some of the wines that went with the food did not work, but others were superb and clearly had been thought about. The only complaint that I would have related to the waiting staff of the restaurant as well as the sommelier. We sat down to eat at 20:45 and finished after 23:15. Now I know that these were eight small dishes, but the time taken for each course to arrive was quite ridiculous. Several times the wine that went with that course had been poured and drunk before the food arrived (at least twenty minutes between wine being poured and the food arriving). In addition, it was impossible to understand most of the staff. In terms of the sommelier, he did give an impression that we are not very welcome, although to be fair that did improve later in the evening when my partner commented that she had in fact visitied the location where one of the wines had come from....

Overall though a really amazing evening food wise.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The ultimate summer treat was to bring my 3 children to the Michelin Marcus restaurant-- little did I know I didn't do Michelin Speak!! The waiter offered a raspberry lemonade for the 3 boys and myself and when I got the bill the cost was £52 or $87 for the round of 4. When I called to complain a week later the manager told me that because the lemonade had a sprig of mint, a twist of lime and 2 raspberries each that made it a soft cocktail!!!!
It was a great lesson to the children to look for hidden costs and never be to afraid to speak up when being ripped off.

I think Ill go back to Yautcha in Soho or Le Gaveroche where they love introducing children to fine food without making Mom a Fool.

4  Thank Laurie B