“Good spot in London”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I compare all Portuguese food to my mother-in-law's authentic cooking. Portal was very good. Loved the glass enclosed dining area. Great staff.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a Portuguese restaurant and the fact that there were two business parties there on a Monday night speaks volumes. You walk into a bar area where the music is very loud (how are people supposed to converse over this?) but the helpful staff showed us to a table in the main restaurant where it was much quieter. As the business parties were in a conservatory area, their noise didn't disturb either. Food here is of an excellent standard, even if a little nouvelle cuisine in portion size. Fresh bread with oil and vinegar is complimentary (unlike in Portugal!) and there was a chef's amuse bouche to start with. Everything was perfectly cooked and the purees and jus had really well-developed flavours. My only quibbles would be the charge of £3.50 for portions of vegetables - a bit steep really - and the fact that they didn't have the wine we chose so we had to pay for a more expensive one. However, we had a great meal with good wine and attentive but not intrusive service.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Once in a while it's a delight to be pleasantly surprised and find a restaurant that leaves you smiling and content. Went to lunch with a good friend to this Portuguese eatery in the City. Had heard much about the place and it's patrons including Jose Mourinho (for those of you not attune to world of Premier League football this may mean zip - sorry Jose!). This sort of patronage normally turns me off instantly, places tend to be more style over substance most times. Glad to be proved wrong for once.

Food was quite delicious though my friend (a Portal regular) did warn me portions would be on the petite end. Starter of caldo verde was indeed sparse but flavour was abundant. Next we had some beautifully seasoned and perfectly roasted pork ribs. Sides were plain but good - home made potato crisps and rather boring salad. Dessert was a a chocolate concoction which was suitably rich and pronounced delicious by my friend. I'm not much of a dessert person but would agree it ticked all the boxes. The wine - crisp vinho verde was excellent. Good recommendation from our Italian waiter (clearly done his homework on Portuguese options).

Last a mention of the setting - delightful. Modern, sleek, polished wooden floors and lovely enclosed outdoor seating.

Happy to go back anytime

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Brought here by a client. Eye opener on the Portuguese wine front, superb wines. The food does not stand back; flavorful and hearty portions. A neighbouring table was having a suckling pig and from the noises and slurps I think they enjoyed that. I was envious and will definitely come back and try that.

A proper restaurant in St John's Street where it seems to be hit and miss these days.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Ate here for my uncles 50th birthday dinner. When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff who offered to take our coats, we were then seated in a private room which was pre-booked,
I had the black pudding risotto to start and it was delicious.
As there was 11 of us we ordered the Traditional Portuguese Suckling Pig served with Mixed Salad, Esparregado, Crisps and Sliced Oranges for our main which was full of flavour! Very very tasty! All the accompaniments were all very tasty too!
The chefs are great!

The staff were very friendly and helpful, constantly making sure, our water, wine and other drinks were topped up.

It was a fantastic night and a great celebration, and I'm glad we had the privacy in the private room! The service of the staff and the quality of the food, made that birthday celebration that extra special.

Also they waiter came out with a candle in my uncles desert which was nice of them too!

I would recommend this place as the food is delicious and the staff are efficient!