“Good, but not up to NYC standards”
Review of Reubens

Reubens
Ranked #10,786 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
London, United Kingdom
“Good, but not up to NYC standards”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Been here just to check the salted beef sandwich. While good, not up to the standard of Katz's or Carnegie Deli in NYC.
The salted beef was OK, not to salty, but unfortunately was not very hot, but barely warm. Bread was a bit thin and broke up easily due to moist from the meat, so in the end it was easier to just eat the meat without the bread.
That said, still probably one of the best hot pastrami you can get in London, I believe is slightly better than the one at Selfridge's Brass Rail.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Lovecraft

• Hebrew first
“This place would not last a day in New York City”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is one of the dirtiest, poorest quality, low service, non-atmosphere, "restaurants" I have ever "eaten" in. Absolutely disgusting.

The steak was soaked in some horrible sauce to mask the taste. They don't serve not a slice of bread with your food. Prices are ridiculous for a Brooklyn style deli.

If I had to rate this place on a scale from 1 to 5 where 1 is the worst, I give it the following:
Food quality: 0
Cleanliness:0
Atmosphere:0
Service: -10

And to end a perfectly disgusting evening, I asked them to call me a cab, and can you imagine... "we don't call cabs". And when I protested, the fellow (says he was the owner) told me to take a black cab, it's cheaper. Everyone who has spent a day in London knows that black cabs are much more expensive, and it cost me GBP20 to get back to my hotel, when it only cost me 12 to get there.

Do yourself and your stomach a favor, go eat at Bevis Marks.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank vgrazi
London
“THINK JACK NICHOLSON AND THREE EASY PIECES...”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Hold the chicken. Or in this case the salt beef. All I wanted was a delicious salt beef sandwich on rye with a pickle. Bog standard stuff really. I was invited by an orthodox mate of mine to the restaurant and not the deli upstairs, and when I asked the waitress if a salt beef sandwich was possible the response was yes we have salt beef. Do you have pickles? Yes. Do you have rye bread? Yes. Can I have a sandwich? We don't do sandwiches here. Hmmm...Okay, can I order the salt beef, please? Some rye bread please. And....you guessed it, a pickle. With a facial expression one might associate with picking some dog emission off one's shoe, the waitress acknowledged my request, and eventually I received the requisite raw materials with which (after getting some supplementary mustard) I assembled the sandwich myself. It was good enough. At £18 or thereabouts (from memory...I tried to verify the price on the website, but noted helpfully that the menu has no prices), it was a steal. From me, not by me. I would go again, but only if there was a standup comic to soften the blow.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank ericwhitetiger
New York City, New York
“Good food, service very lacking”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I found the food here to be very good, though it is also very expensive. You don't get any side dishes along with the main-they need to be ordered (and paid for) separately. The service is very lacking, however. It takes forever to get your food and even longer to get a waiter's attention.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank AMJ92
Ra'anana, Israel
“Imperfect hospitality”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The food was of reasonable, though unexceptional, quality, but any sense of hospitality or aesthetics was lacking. Order the salt beef and you get a plate covered with slices of salt beef -- and absolutely nothing else. Not a slice of bread, not a pickle, not a grain of rice, Really?

• Visited February 2014