“Impressive - makes me feel home”
Review of Royal China

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 24 August 2014

First time here and it won't be the last.

Hailing from Hong Kong, I am impressed by the authentic Cantonese food here. Here are my tips for ordering for a truely HK experience.

We ordered a BBQ pork pastry; two steam rolls (cheung fun) - BBQ and beef; gluentenous rice in lotus leaf; dried bean curd roll; shanghainese style meat and veg fried dumpling - quite a lot of food for two indeed.

Our best order was the steam rolls, such that we ordered another one after. It was definitely top par even by HK standard, because the rice roll were super thin (and even), suggesting the chef is very skilled; and the stuffings were abundant, not often found in HK probably due to the expensive meat from China. In HK, the BBQ pork in the steam rolls were usually served cold inside the hot roll, and were thinly carved - but here it is thick and what you paid for, obviously double the price of HK as it is London, but obviously better than those in Chinatown (and even a lot local dim sum places in HK). The taste, above all, was authentic - be sure to dip with plenty of soy sauce.

Ranked second among our orders was the dried bean curd roll, BBQ pastry and gluentious rice. They all tasted authentic, but if I have to be picky, the BBQ pastry on first bite was slightly too buttery - perhaps to suit to westerners' taste. The gluentious rice was too much stuffings and too few rice - which is good value but different from the typical HK type because stuffs (chicken, pork) again are more expensive so chefs put more rice instead!

In this restaurant, I would suggest go with the standard Cantonese dim sum and avoid the Shanghainese spin aka the fried buns was disasterous. It was the most expensive GBP5+ but tasted funny - exterior looks like Shanghainese but inside is the Canton type meat and veg steam bun - was disappointed as I was looking for the pan fried jucy meat inside.

Nevertheless, I am impressed with Royal China. It is expensive - by HK (obviously, similar price as Fook Lum Moon!) and Chinatown standard, but it saves me a flight back home when my carvings come, so still worth it.

A few more minor things to note, perhaps their high quality is due to the relatively few offerings compared to the typical Chinatown dim sum places.

Second, I noticed a lot of people complained about the service here. Perhaps this left something to desire given the price here, but I had no expectation on service because there aren't any in local yum cha places in HK - waiters are just rushing to get out / in the food.

1  Thank SmokieC
There are newer reviews for Royal China

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Been coming to this busy Chinese Restaurant in Bayswater for many years.

The food is very good and authentic.

The staff are very busy running around and the service is quite rapid.

Not a place for an intimate romantic date in my opinion but great for a large family gathering nosh up.

Very good Dim Sum and also particularly like the mixed seafood with crispy noodles and beef Ho Fun.

Went last night for a family meeting :-)

2  Thank Tarzanhey
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This restaurant is situated next to the Queensway Tube station in London.
We make it a point to have lunch here whenever we are in London.
There are other branches in London e.g Baker St but this is our favorite.
Decor is great, sizeable with seating for over 200.
Their Dim Sum is good though rather expensive. We prefer the a la carte items especially their Peking Duck.
Servers are very attentive though the restaurant is always very busy. The clientele includes many Chinese so that you can tell that the food is authentic Chinese.
We recommend this to all our Trini friends when visiting London though it is pricey.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Can't remember first time I ever visited RC...surely over 20 years ago and a frequent visitor...sadly last visit was poor and judging by the place, on a Friday night, three quarters empty which never used to be the case. The restaurant is looking old, tired and shabby. Service was poor and the food mediocre at best. New menus with pictures are frankly tourist friendly...will not repeat and as a last chance only for Dim Sum...sad that RC does not respect its own history...try elsewhere!

2  Thank ramo
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

One of the best chinese food I had in my entire life ! However the service is very bad, almost unacceptable. I will still come back but only for the food (you must have the dim sum and the crispy duck)

1  Thank POAllouche