“Elegant dining never goes out of fashion.”

Simpson's in The Strand
Ranked #833 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: Simpson's-In-The-Strand is currently closed for refurbishment, and will reopen in July 2017.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Elegant dining never goes out of fashion.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

I dined with my family at Simpson's and we had a thoroughly enjoyable meal with outstanding service. It is hard not to get carried away by Simpson's history, real and fictional. Located next to the site of the original Savoy Theatre is a pilgrimage for any Gilbert & Sullivan fan. Every reader of Sherlock Holmes knows about his dining at Simpson's with Dr. Watson. History aside, the roast beef and all the side dishes are still among the best. The young waiter who served us was a delight and made us feel most welcome.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank CarpeNox

• Korean first
Orlando, Florida
“Never Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stuffy service, overpriced, tasteless roast, nice atmosphere. But overall value? Terrible. Been there just once, and never again.

winchester
“Overpriced, Overcooked and Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

This self styled bastion of traditional British roast beef has underwhelmed me twice in as many months. The roast beef at £27.50 for two fairly tasteless slices is ridiculous and they have the temerity to offer a second helping for another £5+. The wine list is overpriced and the staff lack any warmth or pride. I had to change two glasses as they had lipstick on - poor attention to detail. My father used to love this place many years ago and I think that sums it up. I suspect it is now patronised by old regulars and tourists. There are many better places to eat roast beef in London. The management (Savoy) should put a little less attention into the gross margin and more into delivering a great eating experience.

• Visited June 2011
Namur, belgium
“Simpson's...perfect as usual ...for what you are expecting !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Almost two centuries of tradition . The trolleys to discover perfect lamb or beef under the expert knife of Giuseppe or a different successor with the same skill ...It is not the same taste that Keens in Manhattan but you are in the Strand near the City ! Not Wall Street .
A perfect English red wine ( yes like a Beaujolais or a young Burgundy without pretention ) and not too expensive ...a smiling sommelier, Lionel, to explain the wine ...and the Savoy's history ! Why ask or wait something else ? We like the Simpson's in the Strand with a visit from Brussels every two decades :-)

• Visited May 2011
Leeds
“Canteen food at sky high prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

I saw this place on Michel Roux's "Service" programme and the place looked lovely and the fact that the meat was carved in front of you sounded great, so as I was staying in London I decide to book a table.
On entering the building it is indeed very grand, I was shown to my table and a stream of waiters appeared, all very helpful and courteous, so I was looking forward to the meal, I had ordered the roast beef which is one of the signature dishes, the trolley arrived and I was asked if I wanted rare, medium or well done, I opted for the medium, this was carved and three slabs were arranged on my plate, but the Yorkshire pudding was just sat there, going cold, waiting to be placed on top of the meat, the chef disappeared and I had to then wait another couple of minutes for the potatoes and savoy cabbage to arrive, once all on the plate I cut into the yorkshire pud and it was awful, dry and chewy, I ended up having to ask for more gravy just to make it edible, the potatoes were mass catering standard, and the cabbage was just cabbage, nothing special.
The meat was nice I must say, but very fatty, so quite a bit had to be left, you can order more beef for an extra £5 but the food went cold so quick there did not seem much point.
I was going to stay for dessert but judging by the quality of the main, I decided to go to Covent Garden for an ice cream instead.
This place is a total tourist trap, as someone else said on here it was much the same as a Toby carvery at inflated prices, I doubted that comment until I ate the food myself.

• Visited May 2011