“A Great Birthday Treat”

Price range: US$14 - US$115
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Smiths of Smithfield is a behemoth of a venue with four floors of a converted warehouse providing four distinct offerings. The Ground Floor Cafe is an open plan industrial space famous for top London breakfasts and the classic SOS burger. The First Floor Cocktail Bar and offers bespoke SOS and classic cocktails along with simple sharing plates and our 2 Private Dining Rooms. The 2nd Floor Dining Room with a focus on beef and meat reflecting smithfields meat market - located opposite, with an emphasis on provenance of the dishes and British food at its best. The Top Floor Restaurant and Terrace offers Rare Breed Meat cooked to perfection with stunning views across the city.
Reviewed 26 March 2012

With several places in mind to celebrate my Birthday I looked at various options my husband had been taken there in the past for a business lunch. Having looked at the web site, I decided to go to the Bistro on the second floor, rather than the more formal top floor.
This was a great choice as we were greeted with Happy Birthday offered a table for four, rather than being squashed on a table for two. They also came along with a couple of glasses of fizz on the house very welcome indeed . Whilst making a wine choice the wine waiter brought a sample of each to try, one we were thinking of trying and one he suggested we try as it was a lighter wine for lunch.
The food was amazing as is the atmosphere and the waiters very attentive with out being over the top.
Cant wait to go back there again, roll another excuse.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,264)

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I'm going to keep this review short because I would really like to forget my meal at Smiths second floor "Dining Room", which is the next to highest level restaurant (of exclusivity I guess) on the premises (they have something like four restaurants in the same building).

I came here with an American appetite and a carnivorous colleague. A few days before the booking I got an email asking me to "confirm" the booking. When I arrived at a practically empty restaurant (at 8pm) I was advised that I had only 1 hour and 45 minutes to spend at the restaurant before getting the boot. Who are they kidding? I should have left the place right then there, and I would have, had I not had a colleague with me.

In any event, we sat down on heavy wood furniture at this near empty restaurant and were greeted by a very nice and sweet waitress who professed that she was new on the job. She didn't really know the menu too well and said she hadn't tasted all the dishes. If she wasn't trained properly, why was she let loose on customers? Anyway, she was very nice and so let's forget about that for a second.

I ordered the calamari starter. What I got was oily fragments of calamari that all together weighed probably 30 grams (1 ounce). The flavor was spiked with chilies, so it wasn't horrid, but come on, that's all you put on the plate for about 15 quid? ($25 USD). Back in the US you get about ten times that in an $8 plate of calamari!

My main was okay seafood, but my mashed potatoes were bitterly cold from the outset. My colleague got a Ribeye steak, which is supposed to be a nice, big, marbled steak with lots of flavor. He complained that it was tough, small, and flavor-less. Go figure? I mean, this is a famous steakhouse in the middle of the "meat-packing district" and so what's going on here?

With one glass of wine added to the bill, two starters and two mains cost nearly 100 GBP ($160 USD). So let me tell you something, for that amount of money you can feed a whole family in a pretty good steakhouse in the USA, and even by London standards, this was too expensive for small-portioned, badly-cooked, un-impressive food.

They will never see me again...

2  Thank LicensedTraveller
Reviewed 22 March 2012

was not disapointed with the meal service was very good as well i found the atmosphere good with the rustic setting excellent keep up the good work

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We went one Friday evening as a family. A fantastic and vibrant atmosphere in the ground floor bar where we indulged in pre-dinner embibing. I have read the reviews about the noise but this place is what it is i.e. that is exciting and busy!

Dinner on the top floor restaurant was fantastic with stunning views over the London skyline with the majestic St. Paul's looking resplendent. The meat and fish starters and main courses were of the highest quality with excellent flavours. I had a squid starter with a flavour that was sweet, sour and with fierce chilli - great stuff! A ribeye beef main course followed with great flavour too!

Great food, great staff and great ambience and service. Great place to have a party!

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Was there for business lunch.
Busy restaurant industrial feeling waiter was attentif and caring .
Food wise the meat was veryyyyyyy tasty what u expect near the meat market
4 people's the bill come to120 pound with wine and bubbly.
If in the area will come back for sure.