“Very good food and good wine list”

Smiths of Smithfield
Ranked #1,064 of 23,379 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$105
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Smiths of Smithfield is a behemoth of a venue with four floors of a converted warehouse providing four distinct offerings. The Ground Floor Cafe is an open plan industrial space famous for top London breakfasts and the classic SOS burger. The First Floor Cocktail Bar and offers bespoke SOS and classic cocktails along with simple sharing plates and our 2 Private Dining Rooms. The 2nd Floor Dining Room with a focus on beef and meat reflecting smithfields meat market - located opposite, with an emphasis on provenance of the dishes and British food at its best. The Top Floor Restaurant and Terrace offers Rare Breed Meat cooked to perfection with stunning views across the city.
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Went here for Christmas with my colleague and, despite having a barney at the table, the food was nice and the service was great.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

for lunch - sit downstairs and have a casual burger or fish finger sarnie

for a weekday evening the 2nd floor warehouse dining room is great for a huge steak and chips.

for a special meal splurge on the rib of beef or chataeubriand in the top floor dining room. gorgeous room, beautiful terrace, amazing view of st pauls.

i do come here a lot.

and the food...fantastic. really nice and actually not too expensive. i find john torode slightly annoying on tv but you can't not enjoy the food here.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

The food is tapas style to share which is perfect for larger groups. We were 6 so it really worked for us. Really nicely made, very good ingredients, good wine list, good service. The restaurant is in a very big industrial building and the wine rooms are located on the first floor. The only negative would be the awful, loud music from the lounge on the ground floor. definitely not suitable for a place like that.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

With several places in mind to celebrate my Birthday I looked at various options my husband had been taken there in the past for a business lunch. Having looked at the web site, I decided to go to the Bistro on the second floor, rather than the more formal top floor.
This was a great choice as we were greeted with Happy Birthday offered a table for four, rather than being squashed on a table for two. They also came along with a couple of glasses of fizz on the house very welcome indeed . Whilst making a wine choice the wine waiter brought a sample of each to try, one we were thinking of trying and one he suggested we try as it was a lighter wine for lunch.
The food was amazing as is the atmosphere and the waiters very attentive with out being over the top.
Cant wait to go back there again, roll another excuse.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I'm going to keep this review short because I would really like to forget my meal at Smiths second floor "Dining Room", which is the next to highest level restaurant (of exclusivity I guess) on the premises (they have something like four restaurants in the same building).

I came here with an American appetite and a carnivorous colleague. A few days before the booking I got an email asking me to "confirm" the booking. When I arrived at a practically empty restaurant (at 8pm) I was advised that I had only 1 hour and 45 minutes to spend at the restaurant before getting the boot. Who are they kidding? I should have left the place right then there, and I would have, had I not had a colleague with me.

In any event, we sat down on heavy wood furniture at this near empty restaurant and were greeted by a very nice and sweet waitress who professed that she was new on the job. She didn't really know the menu too well and said she hadn't tasted all the dishes. If she wasn't trained properly, why was she let loose on customers? Anyway, she was very nice and so let's forget about that for a second.

I ordered the calamari starter. What I got was oily fragments of calamari that all together weighed probably 30 grams (1 ounce). The flavor was spiked with chilies, so it wasn't horrid, but come on, that's all you put on the plate for about 15 quid? ($25 USD). Back in the US you get about ten times that in an $8 plate of calamari!

My main was okay seafood, but my mashed potatoes were bitterly cold from the outset. My colleague got a Ribeye steak, which is supposed to be a nice, big, marbled steak with lots of flavor. He complained that it was tough, small, and flavor-less. Go figure? I mean, this is a famous steakhouse in the middle of the "meat-packing district" and so what's going on here?

With one glass of wine added to the bill, two starters and two mains cost nearly 100 GBP ($160 USD). So let me tell you something, for that amount of money you can feed a whole family in a pretty good steakhouse in the USA, and even by London standards, this was too expensive for small-portioned, badly-cooked, un-impressive food.

They will never see me again...

2  Thank LicensedTraveller