“A Turkish Delight”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Covent Garden is full of overpriced restaurants catering to the once only tourist trade. Sofra, on the other hand, relies on regulars returning for superbly prepared and served authentic Turkish dishes. I returned yesterday after an absence of several months and had the set lunch menu, a meal full of variety and contrasting tastes. The meal starts, as you sit down, with the presentation of a humus, olive and olive oil dip accompanied by super warm Turkish bread. Eight meze dishes follow, with traditional tasty bits and unusual vegetable portions. The main course lamb fell of the bone in juicy, tender chunks onto a bed of well seasoned rice with bits of sweet raisin to contrast the savoury taste of the stew. Despite feeling replete, I treated myself to a trio of homemade ice cream; the Turkish coffee ice cream and the cinnamon were particularly outstanding.
Service was attentive and friendly throughout and, although I spent a considerable length of time relaxing with my book after the meal, I was never rushed nor felt that I was overstaying my welcome. I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The food is authentic, fairly tasty and good value (set menus, pre theatre etc) BUT service was truly appalling..

We booked on line for a pre opera meal. We were not on the list and had to wait ages and answer the same questions three times even though the place was not busy. We wanted separate bills and I explained how at the beginning. The result, a 15 minute back and forth where the same (wrong) bill was re-presented no less than 4 times (1 of those times extremely rudely).

We almost missed the opera. Never again.

Such a shame though , as the food is very good value and there is a nice range of mezze dishes.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Been a while since revisited Sofra and last experience hadn't been as good as the old days, but really fancied Meze and location worked for pre-theatre.
Nicely set out inside and with a very clean feel.
Welcomed with open arms by front of house, but manner diminished once it was clear we only wanted a light bite. Good choice of menu and fixed price options, but when we sought guidance on best way to just have a Meze style meal to suit our appetite, we did not find advice particularly helpful and actually verging on dismissive. We ultimately decided just to choose 4 of our own dishes.
Wine arrived and was red and not the rose we had ordered - however, the pink rioja was delicious.
It is lovely that as soon as you are seated you receive the portion of bread, hummus and olives - note bread used to be much nicer, softer with a slight sweetness.
Tables are verging on the small side, so when our 4 dishes arrived, there was an apparent lack of space for all dishes to be put on the table - rather than decanting the food to perhaps smaller plates, the head waiter, without asking, immediately served 2 dishes on to our plates, without knowing if we wanted to share!
The spinach and mixed cheese pastry parcels are nice but bizarrely served with what can only be described as bottled sweet thai chilli dipping sauce - Turkish?! The red lentil patties were a disappointing choice, the hummus with chopped lamb was nice and worked well with the aubergine and peppers dish.
Thankfully supper wasn't the main focal point of the day / eve and on this occasion just served it's purpose, but experience on this occasion was overall disappointing and I wouldn't rush back. Shame. (Interestingly, restaurant was the least busy I have seen it ....)

2  Thank RuralGilly
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Chose this restaurant for an early dinner on Sunday, and it did not disappoint - a good range of dishes on offer, both meat and vegetarian, and bread/humus/olives provided at the start of the meal. The large sharing platter we had as a started (9 different items) was especially nice. The cost, including 2 courses, freshly squeezed juice drinks each, coffee or tea - including service charge - came to £65 for three.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Had a terrible evening with my guests because of this restaurant. Cheated us! Misleading menu & terrible management. Went home still hungry!!!

2  Thank charleshope