“Amazing”

Ranked #333 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$45 - US$96
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Curzon Street
Transit: Green Park
Description: Michelin-starred Tamarind presents an elegant take on Indian cuisine from its gilded dining room in chic Mayfair. The inventive menu is rooted in traditional Moghul cooking, with fish, meat and game dishes brought forth from the Tandoor oven in an authentic north-west Indian fashion. Muted tones and attentive service make the restaurant a smart yet convivial destination.
Asheville, NC
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I ate here in May 5 after being in the UK for about one week. I made this reservation months ago, as my wife and I enjoy Indian food and hearing the great reviews and the fact that it is a Michelin starred restaurant.

Upon arrival we were seated immediately. We ordered a glass of wine and the server suggested the prix-fixe menu. We reviewed both three and four course menus and decided we weren't hungry enough for four courses and decided on three. I normally don't list specifics but this was so outstanding I thought I needed to.

The starters included a Kingfish Tandoori with turmeric, green chilis and lime leaves. Supreme of chicken with gin get, garlic, cream cheese and lime leaves. Lamb kabob with garlic, mint, red onion and basil.

Mains included chicken with peppers, onions and tomato, finished with crushed coriander and peppercorns. Also, diced lamb braised with browned onions, ginger, tomatoes and kashmiri chlies.

Sides were okra with ginger, onion, tomato and pickling spices. Baby potatoes, cumin, chili, turmeric and fresh coriander. yellow lentils finished with ginger, tomato, green chilis and ground spices.

Gulab jamun, vanilla ice cream

For 56 GPB, this was a bargain in Mayfair, London, one of the ritziest places in the world. The depth of flavors in this food was amazing. The service was amazing, one of the best service experiences we have ever had!!

• Visited May 2014
TamarindCollection, General Manager at Tamarind, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear iamstoked22,

Thank you for your lovely review of Tamarind.

I'm glad that you both enjoyed the Dawat menu and the service at Tamarind.

We hope that you will visit us again soon!

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Mission Viejo, California
“Romantic Upscale Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Beautiful dining experience in Mayfair. Food was very good and service excellent. The chickpea starter was the best of night. Had pre-theatre menu which was 3 courses. Chicken Tikka and Prawns (quite spicy) were both delicious. Only hick up was no chocolate mouse as advertised as dessert option. We survived!

Dear travelernottourist,

Thank you for your lovely review of Tamarind.

We're so glad that you enjoyed the pre theatre menu.

I'm so sorry that you didn't get the chocolate mousse. When you next visit Tamarind let us know and we will make it up to you!

Banbridge, United Kingdom
“Fine Indian cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Anniversary lunch in the Tamarind in April beautiful food, really special service, from the girl who welcomed us to the restaurant, to the waiter and waitresses and to the head chef who came out to wish us happy anniversary. Monkfish for mains lamb cutlets for starters - to die for :)
Highly recommend

Dear Paulmckibbin,

Thank you for fantastic review, I'm glad you enjoyed the service, the monkfish and the lamb cutlets

We are honoured that you for choose Tamarind to celebrate your anniversary!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Restaurant Manager
UK
“Top Notch Indian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Tamarind is a very up-market discreet Indian restaurant in the heart of Mayfair. The food is exquisite and expensive but very much worth it. I feel it is now among my favourite eating spots in London. The set menu is about £68 per head and it provided more food than we could eat including a divine fish course and some outstanding creamy black lentils with the main course of lame and chicken. Unusually for INdian restaurant food the vegetables were lightly cooked and fresh, not too oily. The atmosphere is good and the service what you would expect from an up-market restaurant, though many of the staff appeared to be European, so perhaps not exactly what you imagine when entering an Indian establishment! Beware the wine list is good and very pricy. We weren't offered the services of a Sommelier at any point and I do think a restaurant of this quality and price probably should offer some wine advice. Overall an outstanding experience. I cannot bring myself to give 5/5 for value as it really is expensive, but that doesn't mean I am in anyway dissatisfied and I will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2014
Dear RichardVUK,

Thank you for your lovely review of Tamarind.

We're are honoured to hear that we are now one of your favourite eating spots in London!

I would like to apologise for the absence of the Sommelier. We do have a sommelier and I am surprised that you were not informed.

Please let us know when you next plan to visit and I will make sure that our Sommelier is on hand to guide you through the wine list.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Jespal
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty Indian food with great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

A group of us from work went to the Tamarind for lunch. We chose of the Fixed price menu, which offered a good choice at a reasonable price. There were 8 of us altogether and everyone enjoyed what they chose.
Would definitley go back

Dear caz115

Thank you for your lovely review of Tamarind.

I'm so glad you all enjoyed the set lunch menu.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Restaurant Manager