“A surreal and full on dining experience!”

The Tiroler Hut Restaurant
Ranked #1,858 of 24,250 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 16 July 2014

From the entrance you know the night is going to be a bit different. The stairs aren't bad at the start of the night but after a fair few Steins, we made it look like rocket science leaving. I loved the atmosphere, the beer and the food. The entertainment starts with singing and accordion playing and ends up with cow bell playing to music, which gets the whole restaurant involved.
I think the fact we had a large group of people (10-12 people) in our group really helped make the atmosphere , but everyone ended up dancing, singing and learning to play the cow bells.
We all loved the food. The Hungarian Goulash as a starter was without a doubt the best I have eaten. That was followed up with Pork Hock with red cabbage and some other stuff (recommended By Joseph the owner) It was totally worth the slight wait (which was filled in with plenty of beer, schnapps and singing)
I would totally recommend this place for anyone looking for a fun filled night and good food!

1  Thank FlashAs

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Through a very unassuming doorway on Westbourne Grove, one descends the stairs into a bit of Austrian madness. Diners are greeted by the sight of red and white checked cloths, panelled interior and waiters in lederhosen. It does really feel like a mountain hut!

It's great to come in a big group. Once diners at sat, and have ordered their food and schnapps, the madness starts with a bespectacled man in lederhosen serenading each table with his accordian and singing tunes from the Sound of Music and other delightful musicals. Eating schnitzel or wurst to an old guy singing "I am 16 going on 17..." in falsetto is truly an experience! Obviously it gets crazier and crazier, until the entire restaurant is in song and people start dancing.

I am not a big fan of the food, but come just for the atmosphere. It is open late so is also great for big parties.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Not quite sure where to start with this one! It's kind of in a basement with stairs leading down to what I can only describe as a cross between a mountain side restaurant in the Alp's from the 1970's and a kind of all year Father Christmas grotto!
Acid flash back came to mind when I sat down!
The entertainment when we there was a chap in traditional attire singing (Quite badly...sorry) to some Austrian backing track music. The surreal feeling was added to by a slightly hysterical lady being sat on the table next to us, and then the sight of a 6 foot 6" tall full Rasta complete with Bob Marley hat coming down the stairs to take his seat amongst us!
Anyway.....we are quite well versed in food from this area of the world so it was a surprise to be kind of steered away from what I wanted to order off the menu, to something else which was similar but different. What I did get though was an excellent pork hock with cabbage Etc. All the dishes we had were freshly cooked and well presented. Service was on the slow side though this maybe due to the fact that the food is all freshly made? Beer wise we went for 1 litre steins (I had a couple) which went down very well, but they were maybe a bit on the pricy side. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. (Even with my wife's rather pathetic attempt to speak German).
I am pretty confident that we won't stumble into a place like this again for a long time. Which is shame really. Savour and enjoy!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This place is amazing. It is a crazy Austrian restaurant/bar with a very good food and an amazing atmosphere. The people that work there are very crazy, welcome and nice and people there are always dancing, singing, ringing bells, it is everything so funny! Definetly is a very interesting place.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were there on a Saturday night and arrived after midnight (you can order food till 1am). Although it was jam packed they managed to find us a table and were so welcoming and friendly. We ordered king prawns in garlic sauce and herring to start with. The herring was incredible - sweet, tangy and smooth. For mains we had pork knuckle (highly recommend it, huge portion - see pic), turkey schnitzel (see pic) and both came with warm red cabbage and potatoes.

I had a schnapps and a weiss beer (get into the Austrian spirit) which I recommend. The quality of their schnapps is very high, not your standard cheap rubbish. The entertainment is fun, fun, fun. A traditional Austrian band, along with cow bells (yes, cow bells!) and they play everything from Austrian drinking songs to hard rock (with an Alpine Austrian twist of course). You can't help but raise a glass and sing along.

1  Thank BarbieMegaTraveller