“Great food, service and atmosphere!”
Review of Village East

Village East
Reserve with OpenTable
Village East is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,979 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$26 - US$32
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Transit: Village East is conveniently located roughly 10 minutes on foot from the Underground and National Rail services at London Bridge and Borough stations. Bermondsey Street is also frequently served by a multitude of bus routes: C10 (Abbey St); 381 (St Thomas St); 42, 78, 188 (Tower Bridge Rd); 21, 35, 40, 133, 343 (Borough High St).
Description: Village East restaurant in chic south London enclave Bermondsey Street is designed to call to mind a hip East Village establishment in Manhattan. It sprawls through a listed warehouse and glass-fronted apartment building and is decorated in polished concrete, rough wooden pillars, striking curved white chairs, and a wide open kitchen. Sit back and enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine while watching chefs hard at work creating the modern eclectic dishes that make up the Village East menu. In layman���s terms, this means European flavours and techniques are coupled with South East Asian influences, resulting in some intriguing combinations. We had our eye on the seared scallops and caramelised pork belly with carrot puree and teriyaki glaze; and the West Cork beef burger with sauteed foie gras, caramelised onion, jumbo gherkin and chips, but if you���re more in the mood for a steak, or fish and chips, there���s plenty of that on offer too.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I walked in on a Wednesday evening with three friends and the place was buzzing. We were taken to a table around the back with a full view of their open kitchen which was good fun to watch! The service was prompt and really friendly and the food and wine absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend Village East.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had dinner with a couple of friends on a Friday night. The restaurant was lively with a great atmosphere, perhaps a little noisy (I think we raised the average age by a few years!). After a drink waiting we were shown a table in a quieter area which helped conversation. We all went for one of the 'specials' - lemon sole sauteed in butter. Quite delicious. Service was fine. Would recommend.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Sweet and super trendy little eatery on niche Bermondsey St., where the wait staff are right balance between cool and attentive. Great vibe and decor. Muffins under-toasted but Bloody Mary divine!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

With a group of colleagues we decided to have dinner and a few drinks. We had a great time, food was very good, excellent wine list and friendly service.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Lovely dinner experience. Food and service were impeccable. Everything went beautifully until the bill came.
What really annoyed me was, that a 12,5% was added to my bill for service, with the following message at the bottom: "For your convenience (really?) a service charge of 12.5% has been added to your bill. This is optional (REALLY?) & need not to be paid if you feel the service was unsatisfactory. Thank you".
Honestly, I will never understand nor get used to the forced tipping. Don't waiters receive a salary for doing their job in a satisfactory way? As a worker, I do. Believe me nobody tips me for doing my job. If I don't do it in a satisfactory way, I have great possibilities of getting sacked. For doing a good job, with the skills I have, is why I was hired in the first place and the reason I receive a salary at the end of the month.
I find it unacceptable that restaurant owners who make a profit charging me good money for my food (which I am willing to pay the moment I decide to go into the restaurant), make a profit charging me over acceptable prices for "wine by the glass" (which I also agree to pay, when I order) and also pay the waiters wages, without giving me the freedom of deciding whether I voluntarily want to leave 0, 5 or a million pound tip because I want to do so and telling me that they do it in the name of "my convenience".
Is it me or anyone else feeling abused by this practice?

4  Thank XAO13
VillageEastSE1, Guest Relations Manager at Village East, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback in regards to your dinner with us at Village East. It does sound we were able to tick quite a few boxes, but a slight misstep on our part potentially dampened the overall evening. I wanted to offer our most sincere apologies for this, it is an industry standard in London to add an optional gratuity of 12.5% to all bills. However after looking at it further I can see how it was in fact not worded appropriately, a flaw which has since been rectified.

If you are ever inclined to return to us, we would be happy to have you and would request that you email me personally so I can make certain you are well looked after. My email is natalia@village-london.co.uk.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Regards,