“Good food but some disappointing points”

Galvin at Windows Restaurant
Ranked #184 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$36 - US$256
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: View, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: Awarded a Michelin star and 3 AA Rosettes for its impeccable cuisine and ambience, the spectacular 28th floor panorama over the London skyline may have made Galvin at Windows a destination restaurant, but the inspired menu of modern French haute cuisine makes it impossible to overlook. The most talked about restaurant in London, Galvin at Windows has a glamourous interior blending the golden age of the 1930s with a modern theme. Together with Head Chef Joo Won, acclaimed Chef-Patron Chris Galvin has prepared a straightforward range of classic dishes that are ideally suited to the elevated Mayfair surroundings. The neighbouring bar boasts an impressive collection of whisky and cognac alongside classic and contemporary cocktails served on the rare Italian Saint Laurent marble bar top, which adds to the seductive atmosphere of the room. Whether you need to impress an important client or want to enjoy an intimate dinner for two, Galvin at Windows will offer you an exceptional dining experience.
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but some disappointing points”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We went there for the pre theatre set menu. The set menu had very limited options but people were happy to change it to suit our dietary habits.
Service in general was good and attentive but 2 points really bothered me:
1. My partner ordered some tap water and we were given 2 bottles of mineral water an charged accordingly for them. I didn't know at the time that he didn't order them so didn't mention it to our waiter. But I do feel that this is not acceptable for a restaurant of this standard.
2. Similarly to point 1, we were given refills to our drinks without being asked and charged for these refills as well. If we'd been asked whether we would want a refill, that'd have been fine. But in this way, we felt cheated of our money.

Both points seem to indicate that the restaurant is desperate for us to pay extra for drinks. In the end our bill was probably twice the expected amount due to the extra drinks charged. I feel that sort of technique is especially not appropriate for a Michelin-starred restaurant and really expected better.
All in all, we felt that the food canny outweigh the fact that we experienced some dishonest manners. We won't be back.

2 Thank mengjiaow

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“A beautiful view.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Personally, I never liked eating in big hotels in big cities. A foreboding feeling of a captured market and business men on expense accounts always puts me off. So picking to go to windows at the top of the Hilton Park Lane, was a strange choice for me.
The bar was my first attractor, and a lovely bar it is. A panoramic view over London, and as the sun dips and street lights mingle with twinkling buildings revealing the beautiful cloak of night time London.
A wonderfully hosted bar, making you feel welcome and superbly mixed drinks. A delicious old fashioned, a little small talk and we were escorted into the restaurant.
We were shown to a lovely window table, showing us the other side of London. The 3 course menu runs at £70.00, so with some wine and coffee and service you will be looking at £130.00. pp. Its a fair sum. The food is very good. Delicious Scallops, a little samphire a touch of spice. Beef was of excellent quality, beautifully cooked, a little ox cheek ( a touch cold) and a slither of fois gras ( looked good, a little tasteless in truth). Standard posh restuarant portions, that fell into the just enough category. Dessert was technically very good, waiter talked me into a chocolate molleneux, which I instantly regretted but enjoyed it 60%.
There is substance to this kitchen, service was friendly and relaxed, without overtures. Reservations listened and acted on my specific requests and I would return to show off that wonderful view with a drink in my hand.

• Visited July 2014
Hilton_ParkLane, Manager at Galvin at Windows Restaurant, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Tony J

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am pleased to read your kind with us here comments about your dining experience with us at Galvin at Windows.

Thank you for your kind comments about the cuisine and service, I am glad that we managed to sway your opinion on eating in big hotels in London!

I will be passing your comments directly onto the Galvin at Windows team,

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“A very bright star in London's fairyland”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Now lets be clear: this place is all about pushing out the most special of boats. And every superlative can be plausibly called into service in any description of this lovely, even extravagant, restaurant.

Located on the 28th floor of the London Hilton on Park Lane, my first impression was that I had wandered onto the set of a Fred Astair movie! A sense of luxury: polished wood, crisp tablecloths,high ceiling and bright light streaming through the large windows which provide a panoramic view over London - on the day I went I could see as far as Harrow in North London. Now here comes the only assertive note in my review. Unless you find yourself seated by one of the large windows then you will have missed the full Galvin experience. So be sure to make your wish (nay your demand!) clear when you book: its got to be a window seat.

Both no matter where you sit in this restaurant you will luxuriate in one of the highest levels of service I have ever enjoyed anywhere in the world. Simply nothing is too much trouble! But this is all about the food. The very description of what I enjoyed reads like an elegant poem:

Pork terrine, mustard emulsion, pickled vegetables & verjus dressing
Tart of braised leek, macaroni, Roquefort & caramelised walnuts
Peach & summer berries sabayon, verbena ice cream

All this is to be had for £30 (the set lunch) but be careful, the wine list is far less gentle on the credit card! A drink while you study the menu and maybe a bottle of wine plus coffee and the (wholly deserved) 12.5% for service can easily take lunch for two into a three figure sum. But Galvin's is no place for the bean counters; only those desiring the most wonderful ambrosia should venture up the 28th floor!

1 Thank Pooleyville
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I've been here so many times and keep going because of the amazing food and fabulous service. On this occasion the service was a little slower than normal but we were happy chatting and admiring the view-we had a great table. The waiter (sorry don't know his name)then brought our two Bellini's, but because of the way he was holding them mine spilt as he put it down and went on the tablecloth and on my hand-it was no real big deal . From that point on he couldn't apologise more.
He then proceeded to cover up the stain that had developed with a napkin, brought us a little mini dessert before our real dessert and continued to apologise profusely.At the end of our time he offered to take us to the kitchen-an opportunity we jumped at!
He was really kind ,attentive and obviously really sorry which we really appreciated. I always tell my team if you make a mistake it's the way you rectify it that is the true test and he really rectified it.
I will be back without question,in fact I'm booked again on the 28th august and I can't wait.

Thanks Galvins,I will always be a loyal customer.

Denise leander

Dear 830Denise

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am so pleased to read your kind comments about your dining experience as a returning guest here with us at Galvin at Windows.

Thank you for your comments on the service and cuisine, I apologise for the spillage but I am delighted that you were satisfied with your waiter’s apology and how he dealt with the situation.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Galvin at Windows.

London
“We had a fantastic business dinner here”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had always had drinks at the bar but never managed to eat at Galvin. Well, I was very impressed with the dinner. We were greated and seated by very friendly and polite staff. The front of house was excellent, eye contact and made sure everything was spot on.

The food was excellent, delicous blend of flavours and not too rich. They brough along a little amuse bouche but it had peanuts in and they went off to make me a nut free version, very nice touch. The portions were spot on as well.

The views were amazing and a truely super place to go. I will be coming back.

• Visited July 2014
Hilton_ParkLane, Manager at Galvin at Windows Restaurant, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Alexander B

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you were impressed when dining with us here at Galvin at Windows. Thank you for your kind comments towards our staff and the ‘excellent’ cuisine.

We pride ourselves on the standard of service and cuisine that we offer so It brings me great pleasure to read that you and your guest thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!