“Solid uncomplicated food cooked well - why the mixed reviews?”
Review of The Frontline Club

The Frontline Club
Ranked #1,391 of 23,357 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$15 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Paddington Rail and Underground Station Edgware Road Underground Station Lancaster Gate underground Station St.Mary's Bus Stop for 7, 15, 23, 27, 36, 205, 306
Description: Recently refurbished by 2015 RIBA award-winning architects Skene Catling de la Peña and FAR Frohn & Rojas. The new look now features a long bar and a mezzanine level which seats up to 27 people and is available for private hire. The restaurant walls display some of the most iconic photographs of the 20th century, put together by LIFE picture editor John G. Morris. The menu is devised by Head Chef John Edwards (previously at Le Caprice and Soho House), and includes the best of British seasonal ingredients, much of which comes from the owners farm in Ellingham, Norfolk. The other produce is sourced from local, small businesses that retain the Club's high ethical and sustainable mindset. "Small, funky, very focused but rather cool," Peter York, The Independent "Knocks spots off the competition for value. In short, the Frontline is a staggering find: big, grown-up, lots of wood, but light and jolly with just a hint of foreign battles. Classy, but affordable enough to enjoy every day." Giles Coren, restaurant review in The Times.
Reviewed 14 April 2014

A friend booked this place for us to have a catch up and as it turned out he just bought his first house - so this became a celebration. I trawled through the TA reviews worried that we were in for a gamble. It was definitely worth it!

Atmosphere: it's dark woods and fairly moody but not glum. Think French bistro with tall ceilings and large windows with an entertaining view on to the street outside. For dinner this is all pretty atmospheric so I recommend a corner table near the window, which we did not have. It's not a deal breaker though.

The wine: I had a glass of the house Riesling which I thought was excellent for a white wine by the glass. It was honey coloured but balanced swaying between citrusy sharpness and smoothness. I wouldn't have a problem drinking a bottle of this over lunch with company. We later drank a bottle of Spanish red, the name of which escapes me. It had a black label with loads of red writing on it - hopefully that's apt enough to get to you find it! Equally delicious.

The food: I had thesteak tartare (starter) followed by a rare venison rump with roast vegetables and a side of purple broccoli and sauteed spinach. This was one of the best steak tartare's I've ever had. Seriously. Now it is not conventional but it was really delicious - my problem with steak tartare is that I end up seasoning a lot as it can be very bland. To oversimplify, this steak tartare was reminiscent of a well-seasoned bloody mary. I would definitely come back for this alone. The venison was really well cooked too and pretty hard to fault - except that I wanted more and perhaps that's a good sign.

Dessert was a little odd. I ordered affogato which usually arrives in two halves (coffee then ice cream separately). This however was not the case. It turned up in a bowl already combined which just doesn't make sense to me. The coffee is now cold and, to be honest, the experience of combining the two should be left to the customer to decide how much they want - plus it's fun.

Service: the staff here was pretty friendly - especially the Australian waitress who was all smiles and recommendations throughout. I can't fault them.

Price: so this seems to be where the reviews are split. Is it pricey? Do you get value for money? Pretentious? Maybe I am jaded but years of living in London tells me that the value here is about right. The food was cooked with skill, the wine list is thoughtful and does not go crazy with many bottles £20 and south of that and finally: the location. It's a stone's throw from Paddington station and within striking distance of other areas where the price of our mains would have been a starter. If you are looking for cheaper then you're looking for a chain and all that comes with that.

I would happily come back here again and look forward to it. I have recommended it to others too.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had a business lunch, on a week day, at the Frontline Club restaurant. Very good fresh food, good service, nice setting. Reasonably quiet restaurant.
I would go back, this is a good place.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had a business lunch, on a week day, at the Frontline Club. Very good fresh food, good service, nice setting. Reasonably quiet restaurant.
I would go back, this is a good place.

1  Thank LondonVibrations
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was my second visit to this restaurant and it did not disappoint. I had the scallops as an appetizer and the salmon as the main. Both dishes were cooked perfectly with nice light sauces to compliment. Highly recommend if you are in that area of London.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was supposed to be our treat on a recent visit to London, unfortunately we were left disappointed.

It started off ok with some blue cheese pop corn (something different) and the rabbit terrine was really tasty but that's about as good as it got.

The leeks in the salad starter were undercooked and when we informed the waitress she just muttered something and pulled a face.

The steak was ok, vegetarian gnocchi bland and the creme brûlée very disappointing. Cheeseboard wasn't bad though - too little too late.