“A Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Rowley's

Rowley's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rowley's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,528 of 25,591 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$102 - US$102
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Transit: Piccadilly Circus tube: 2 minutes walk. Green Park tube: 7 minutes walk.
Description: Not many restaurants have a loyalty scheme, which just goes to show how very loyal Rowley's long-time regulars happen to be. The room is traditionally British, but also informal and relaxed. The menu changes monthly, and always features Rowley's tremendously good char-grilled entrecote steak or breast of Sussex chicken with herb and butter sauce and endless chips. The trad Caeser salad is also terrific. Short, intelligent wine list and the sun-dried tomato chutney served with the cheese is just right. Great for business lunches, or pre- or post-theatre.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Make no mistake, this established restaurant, like many others need tourists and ' bottoms on seats' to cover their Central London rents and overheads, so they are obliged to offer vouchers and to attract tourists. We all know there's no such thing as a free lunch. Special offers are no different from 'buy one, get one free'. It will always costs you twice as much as the alleged 'saving'. It really annoys me when people think a smaller portion is a rip off. It's not. I would rather have a quality meal than a large one offering inferior quality food.

Other reviews don't seem to match my experience.

We have dined there at odd times over the past 2 decades, and each time have eaten great, well cooked steaks with great fries, we decided to go again.

We were seated courteously and drinks order taken immediately and whilst it seemed they could use another member of staff, the entire service was fast and smooth.

Rowley's format is clever and easy. Good old basic british fare with 5/6 option choices on each course. Famed Specialities are entrecôte or grilled, chicken supreme with bottomless fries. Served in a dish for 1 or 2, sat on a warming grill with a candle plate warmer beneath. Nice touch. Food stays warm but doesn't continue cooking.

A La Carte offers a choice of fish choice, lamb, vegetarian and 3 other cuts of steak or chateaubriand. Potato and vegetable selection. The starters are as you'd expect, prawn cocktail, pate, soup of the day etc.

Food was absolutely excellent. Chicken supreme was moist and beautifully cooked. Fries were pretty excellent and no limit to the fries.

Add to that most of the wine list is offered by the glass, bottle or carafe (half bottle). Fantastic.

Thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The restaurant is not bad but I think that management is not being honest with all the voucher offers they are selling to boost up demand. I had been before and had the Chateaubriand which was a great experience, a large piece of perfectly cooked meal. So I booked the voucher offer as soon as I saw it (half price). You can only imagine the disappointment when we got a meagre sliced steak to share for two..... That was very disappointing and deceiving. Once you add the wine, the fact that service charge, as someone else mentions, is charged on the fully priced chateabriand it was a very expensive dinner for one. Good news is that you can eat as many fries as you want!!!!

7  Thank victorialad
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Having been in the Wine Trade for 47 Years I came down to the London Wine Fair yesterday with a very good friend and customer of mine who is also in the trade. I've been a licensee since the age of 18.

I had booked a table for 18.15 giving good time for our train back to Yorkshire. Upon arrival bang on time we were offered a table and given two menus, I then asked for the wine list but was told by the manageress that we were welcome to eat but as I quote " you have had alcohol" in broken English and we weren't allowed wine with our meal.

We were both fine and far far from being overly intoxicated and if we were i would be the first to admit it as being in the wine trade occasionally one can have to many but not on this occasion.

On the way to Rowleys we had been in Franco's Italian restaurant where there was no problem!

We were "gobsmacked" why serve us at all if we were thought to be a problem, i have never ever been refused drink in my life and we were looking forward to a good steak and bottle of red!

The attitude of the manageress was totally unacceptable, we were extremely embarrassed and humiliated as this happened in front of busy restaurant.

Anyway we left in absolute disgust and went to the superb restaurant Langham's where Tony the manager found us a table which was kind of him as obviously we hadn't booked and the restaurant was very busy, we enjoyed a great steak and a bottle of Crozes Hermitage despite apparently being "overly intoxicated"

I would not recommend Rowleys and certainly will never be returning!

6  Thank johndmitchell
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I ate here pre-theatre on a Saturday night. We had an excellent meal with a reasonably priced bottle of wine.

Service was good.

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank essexspursfan
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We had booked the Chateaubriand two course meal for two and it was exceptional. . Then along came the main course. The Steak was part cooked and placed in a lit open

My wife and I went for a pre theatre early dinner here, and we Immediately liked how it felt. The atmosphere were engaging and the waiters were lively and friendly. Beginning with a prawn cocktail starter - it was succulent and very tasty. The flavours oozed and we could not fault it! We both had the entrecote with the roquefort sauce. It was cooked medium to perfection, with the option to hold the meat on the lit skillet. the meat was lovely and tender - succulent to say the least!. We had chilled lettuce hearts as our sides, and the red wine was superb too! Importantly the waiting staff were attentive throughout our meal without being overpowering. Nothing was too much trouble and the tip was the least we could do. Excellent evening and we'll certainly pay them a re-visit when next in London.

Date of visit: May 2014