“Fabulous steak”
Review of Rowley's

Rowley's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rowley's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,528 of 25,591 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$102 - US$102
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Transit: Piccadilly Circus tube: 2 minutes walk. Green Park tube: 7 minutes walk.
Description: Not many restaurants have a loyalty scheme, which just goes to show how very loyal Rowley's long-time regulars happen to be. The room is traditionally British, but also informal and relaxed. The menu changes monthly, and always features Rowley's tremendously good char-grilled entrecote steak or breast of Sussex chicken with herb and butter sauce and endless chips. The trad Caeser salad is also terrific. Short, intelligent wine list and the sun-dried tomato chutney served with the cheese is just right. Great for business lunches, or pre- or post-theatre.
Reviewed 26 February 2015

I am not someone who eats a lot of steak but my partner thought we'd try it out here with a voucher. When we went staff were quite nice and friendly although they could perhaps be a little more professional for such a traditional and famous restaurant. The restaurant was quite busy on a Saturday night when we went but not overly so. We ordered our steak "medium well" (as I'm not too keen on lots of blood) and my partner said it would be dry - however, it wasn't. It was absolutely perfect, in fact it was the best steak I've ever eaten! He enjoyed it too. The portion size was a little mean for two people I think but the fries were also really delicious (and again I'm not a big fan of thin fries usually). We had a really nice red wine with our meal but the wine is way overpriced I think. I also had a dessert, sticky toffee pudding, which was very tasty and the cheese board was good too, but small. Anyway, I would go here again if the experience were to be the same. I'm surprised at some of the bad reviews. What a shame, when they can do good steaks like this!

Date of visit: December 2014
1  Thank Annette G

Reviewed 25 February 2015

My husband took me to this restaurant with excitement because of it's history and because I like French style steak with sauce. However this was a disappointment. Staff looked less formal than i could imagine. When the £36 each steaks arrived I could not believe that they were was served in a once-upon-a-time teflon pan over a warmer. From the black/greyish shadows in and outside the pan one could say that the pan was scratched off of it's nonstick coating showing teflon and aluminium patches. I was shocked that you pay so much for a meal and it is served to you in such way in a health hazard pan. It well known that teflon is bad for you but a scratched teflon and aluminium is worse! It was NOT RUSTIC, it was HEALTH HAZARD. Loyalty of their customers is a blind loyalty.
Steaks were moist and soft but i did not like the butter sauce. L'Antrecote cannot be beaten by this restaurant. You may be queueing outside there but at least when you get in your steak is kept in steel, healthy pan and the taste of their sauce is something else and you pay a little less.

Reviewed 22 February 2015

Post theatre meal - DO NOT USE THE PEDICABS - daylight robbery and just for unsuspecting tourists. Nice meal with attentive staff - nothing too much trouble - great for steak lovers - not cheap but great quality

Date of visit: January 2015
1  Thank Ahoydickie
Reviewed 16 February 2015

We visited Rowleys again, this was our second time, on valantine's day, we booked a table for 16:30 hrs but arrived early at 15:00 hrs due to the heavy rain.
We got a very warm and friendly welcome, offered a various tables,the food was excellent, the portions were large and was the food was hot. we had the chateaubriand which was excellent and I loved the Rowleys special sauce.
We had a three courses meal with wine and drinks, it wasn't cheap but was lovely and well worth the money.
Already planning our next visit with the family.

Reviewed 16 February 2015

My wife and I ate here 2 days before the holiday, during lunch. We loved Rowley's years ago for it's think entrecôte Geneva Cafe de Paris, prepared at the table in a special sauce. This was not what we got - instead we had a standard entrecôte covered in buttery goo. The steal was OK, but it was not Rowleys.

Go to Hawkmoor for the £22.50 Steak Frites lunch, including starter. You set a lovely salad, 250gm rib eye and triple cooked chips. At Rowleys, the salad would cost a fiver, and £25 for the steak/frites. No comparison on cost, quality or service.

The service was pretty average. It was inexplicably slow, considering this is what they do.

So if you want that kind of lunch, there are much better alternatives.

1  Thank RhondaFleming