“It's a steak joint - and a very good one”
Review of Rowley's

Rowley's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rowley's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,610 of 27,214 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$102 - US$102
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Transit: Piccadilly Circus tube: 2 minutes walk. Green Park tube: 7 minutes walk.
Description: Not many restaurants have a loyalty scheme, which just goes to show how very loyal Rowley's long-time regulars happen to be. The room is traditionally British, but also informal and relaxed. The menu changes monthly, and always features Rowley's tremendously good char-grilled entrecote steak or breast of Sussex chicken with herb and butter sauce and endless chips. The trad Caeser salad is also terrific. Short, intelligent wine list and the sun-dried tomato chutney served with the cheese is just right. Great for business lunches, or pre- or post-theatre.
Reviewed 13 March 2015

If you don't have steak here, you are missing the point. Rowley's is famous for its entrecote served on a flamed pan dripping with delicious maitre d' butter and accompanied by unlimited light and crispy fries. Our steak, cooked medium rare, was pretty nigh perfect. Smoked salmon to start with was high quality too, and we thoroughly enjoyed the sticky toffee pudding to finish. Berry Bros claret to accompany was just great. Espresso coffee was outstanding.
No, this place does not do adventurous cooking, and the unremarkable salmon main course and crayfish salad are worth avoiding. But if you stick to what Rowley's does best you are unlikely to be disappointed.
The setting is interesting, in Mr Wall's old butcher's shops with its beautiful tiles. Service is not all that personal, and as Rowley's serves good traditional English fare you might expect more panache and personality - that's my only quibble.

2  Thank 4Elmsman

Reviewed 12 March 2015

Firstly let me start by saying the food (what there was of it) was tasty, especially the fries which kept coming. At a cost of £68 for a Chateaubriand (claimed to be for 2) and unlimited fries plus £8, I was really looking forward to enjoying a really reasonable sized piece of quality meat, especially as I had paid £39 through Barclays Bespoke Offers, thinking I had got a bargain. I am a meat lover who chooses and buys their meat carefully and so I definitely know when I am being taken for a ride. The Chateaubriand came and both my partner and I looked at each other with surprise.

The meat was not much larger (I am being generous) than 200g (about 8oz) in total and that was to share!!!! Although it was nicely cooked, sliced and splayed out as to make it look a lot larger than it actually was, it was very clear that this was not a sharing platter. We each got 2 thin slices of meat plus half of a seared edge. The waiters were good in trying to make up for it and kept topping us up with delicious fries but it was not enough and all I came out with was a belly full of potato rather than a belly full of meat which is what I believed I had paid for. Even at £39 I would be very hard pushed to pay for the size fillet steak we actually got and would expect the quality to be outstanding.

My partner and I are lovers of fine food, and are prepared to pay for quality but not that kind of money for what I can only describe as maximum a single portion. If you are going to offer something half price please give the full portion as halving will only make sure I never return which is sad as I thought the waiters were great and friendly but the portion size for the cost was seriously lacking.

I spent an additional £50 in there on wine and accompaniments so it wasn't cheap but had I not been on the Barclays deal the bill would have been around £130 .... It would be easy to say you get what you pay for but I can't even say that in this case. Not as special a meal as I would have liked and not worth a trip into London for. Buyer beware.

4  Thank CrazytownUK
Reviewed 11 March 2015

Below par - the decor and the staff are a bit weary... food was okay but nothing special, service not good enough for the price (charmless and not attentive). Didn't like the way the cooked chicken and steak were served in the same pan at the table.
Not much to encourage a repeat visit.

Reviewed 10 March 2015

My boyfriend and I ate here using an Amazon local voucher (chateaubriand and unlimited fries £39).
This was the first time I had tried chateaubriand and was not left disappointed. It was also 'unlimited' fries and they were light and tasty.
The restaurant was really busy but staff were very attentive and had good banter with us.
Will definitely eat here again.

Date of visit: February 2015
Reviewed 10 March 2015

We had a travel zoo deal for chateaubriand for two with unlimited fries which cost £39.00
Restaurant very nice and staff friendly. The chateaubriand is a steak cooked with a garlic butter, originally this would have cost £68.00 and £8.00 for the fries for the two of us. We had one steak cooked which was cut and we both has three slices each. Meal nice enough but disappointing as we felt the steak was for one person. The sauce was nice and so were the fries. If we had paid the orginal price even for London prices we would have thought that we had been done. Good wine selection but expensive. Would not go back.

Date of visit: February 2015