“Excellent & Attentive Service with humour”
Review of Rowley's

Rowley's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rowley's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,526 of 25,591 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$102 - US$102
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Transit: Piccadilly Circus tube: 2 minutes walk. Green Park tube: 7 minutes walk.
Description: Not many restaurants have a loyalty scheme, which just goes to show how very loyal Rowley's long-time regulars happen to be. The room is traditionally British, but also informal and relaxed. The menu changes monthly, and always features Rowley's tremendously good char-grilled entrecote steak or breast of Sussex chicken with herb and butter sauce and endless chips. The trad Caeser salad is also terrific. Short, intelligent wine list and the sun-dried tomato chutney served with the cheese is just right. Great for business lunches, or pre- or post-theatre.
Reviewed 29 July 2015

We wanted somewhere with tradition to celebrate the graduation of one of our son's from a London Uni so booked Rowley's for location to our homeward journey & the Festival Hall earlier this month.
We had seen the reviews and some were poor - mainly about service. So I contacted the restaurant to clarify if these had been resolved and were assured they were. After our visit I can see how these may have arisen as one of the staff who served us didn't know the nature of the dish we had chosen BUT had the good sense to check with the manager; and all was resolved. Perhaps this hadn't occurred with others hence the poor reviews.
All we can say is that the staff were excellent and added a "little something extra" to make our memories of the day even more special.
Our thanks to the staff who made a real difference to our day.

Reviewed 28 July 2015

We took advantage of a Travelzoo voucher for their Chateaubriand and a glass of wine Monday night. Was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews about sharp practices. Our experience was very positive. Service and good was excellent. Steak and fries were wonderful and plentiful. The house wine was so good we ordered a second glass. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 26 July 2015

We visited Rowley's with a Travelzoo voucher for their Chateaubriand on a Saturday night - all six of us were delighted with the meal, and none of us took up the offer of unlimited fries. The staff were very friendly. We would definitely return for a meal here - it's near Piccadilly, next time we up in London for the evening.

Reviewed 26 July 2015

I have been visiting Rowleys for over 25 years now and the steak and fries are still very tasty, and the fries are plentiful, but it has got extremely expensive - especially for lunch - and the service has got very iffy. The restaurant always seems to be full with both locals and tourists but the cost and the service are very off-putting - shame as the food is so good.

Reviewed 18 July 2015

I visited Rowley's a few weeks back and ordered their Special Chateaubriand for two with unlimited fries.

Should be straightforward. The waitress advised that it came with a complementary side dish too. Nice; so I ordered one. The waitress then came back to say that it doesn't, she'd made a mistake, as they just have too many offers for her to keep track of! That's fine, anyone can make a mistake. I ordered the side dish anyway.

When the bill came they'd also also billed us for all the complementary fries. Given the discussion earlier as to what was included and what wasn't, they were clearly aware. Unfortunately, without my paperwork from having ordered the special (on line beforehand) I didn't want another discussion as to what was in and what was out, especially as I'm sure the waitress was perfectly aware, and just trying to sneak additional items onto the bill. I was able to check when I got home, and indeed fries are complementary. I emailed the manager to try and resolve this, but they have chosen to ignore me.

Unfortunately, I'm left with the impression this place is just operating sharp practices probably to scam the tourists. Unfortunately I'm not a tourist, and I'm also minded to share such things with others via Trip Adviser….

They also don't know the difference between mint tea and peppermint tea, but that's another story.

Mean time, avoid this place at all costs. And if you chose to ignore me, then take a lawyer with you!

Date of visit: June 2015