“Shocking”
Review of Rowley's

Rowley's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rowley's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,528 of 25,591 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$102 - US$102
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Transit: Piccadilly Circus tube: 2 minutes walk. Green Park tube: 7 minutes walk.
Description: Not many restaurants have a loyalty scheme, which just goes to show how very loyal Rowley's long-time regulars happen to be. The room is traditionally British, but also informal and relaxed. The menu changes monthly, and always features Rowley's tremendously good char-grilled entrecote steak or breast of Sussex chicken with herb and butter sauce and endless chips. The trad Caeser salad is also terrific. Short, intelligent wine list and the sun-dried tomato chutney served with the cheese is just right. Great for business lunches, or pre- or post-theatre.
Reviewed 25 November 2017

I have to say in all of my 61 years on this earth the food and service in this restaurant will be in my top 3 worst ever places to eat! service was shocking and the food was terrible!
people were getting the wrong meals and all the food was terrible.
would advise against anyone going there.
expensive and totally shocking experience!!!!!!

Peter.

1  Thank Palletbloke

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had a lovely experience the staff are very attentive and the food is delicious I love the decor and it has got a lot of nostalgia to the place I will certainly visit again if I ever come back to London because this is the only place that I have felt valued well done to all the staff they work very hard

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

It’s been quite a few years since I last visited Rowley’s. There have been changes - it seems paired back - simplified - probably more reasonably priced than it used to be (comparatively). It’s more of a brasserie now - service and food is good - good value for money for this area. Traditional British dishes that are well cooked and nicely presented. Although too many fries with everything- let’s have some nice mash!! I liked it because on a busy west end evening this is a nice refuge from the over busy and over hyped other offerings. Only gripe is to make it a bit cosier - bring back some drapes and a carpet! It’s quite noisy with an echo even if not too busy!

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Friday night in November, just checked into our members club in St James area of London, which we visit and stay at regularly. Decided to dine in one of the many restaurants locally. We have walked past Rowley's on many occasion and commented how nice it looked and given the reviews had said when the next opportunity arrives we would dine there. Who knows it may be a regular place for eating. On this Friday we hadn't booked just walk in off the street as it was reasonably busy but not excessive. First impressions were good, friendly welcome and one of the first questions was would we like some water? This I really liked as we had not had the chance to see the wine list etc. Even offered tap water as well as the costly bottled water (Costly at all Restaurants) . Big thumbs Rowley's. Staff attentive without being over barring. Order placed for starter, Rowley's steak special and a bottle of wine. The starters were very good however whilst there was nothing wrong with the main it lacked something in presentation. At £30 I expected more than Steak and French fries with a bit of herb garlic butter. Yes side dishes are extra but not even a bit of garnish. So presentation was bland at bes. For just over £100 we had two starters two mains a bottle of wine and two coffees. Some will say reasonable for a good restaurant in this part of London and I would agree. The food was OK, no complaints but over priced for what it was and therefore lacked value for money. Hence the average score. The real disappointment started to creep in towards the end of the mains. I am a quicker eater and drinker than my wife. Whilst she was still eating my place was being cleared away. Some may not see a problem with this but it made her feel as though the staff were in a rush to clear up and she felt rushed taking away the relaxing experience. Difficult to explain in words. We ordered two coffees which I have to say we're very good, but again it was just two coffees no biscuit, a chocolate mint or similar. Again there was just something missing from the overall presentation and experience. When we received the bill 12.5% service charge had been added. This is something that infuriates me. Tipping is discretionary and I am more than happy to tip 10 - 15% in cash to go to the staff not into the bank account of the restaurant based on the level of service received. I won't be told what the tip should be. My wife by now had the feeling of just being a one off tourist ( oh how wrong they were) whilst others appeared to be getting a more friendly level of service, hence why some excellent reviews. We decided to pay for the meal from my wife's account and she decided to instruct the service charge was deducted because of how she felt concerning the rushing to clear away whilst others were still eating. Clearly in a hurray and not because the restaurant was over busy or because it was the end of service. The obvious question at that point and in any case would be. Was everything ok for you? Not a word. Left feeling as though we were a "One Off Tourist" who would not return rather than a valued customer. Personally I was happy to leave a 10% cash tip but the wife had decided against it. Good for her. So in summary good food but at those prices they need a little more attention to detail and friendly personal service. For what we had we could have gone to a chain restaurant and paid a lot less. Very Average.

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Me and my partner came here on a Saturday evening, we had a group on voucher for chateaubriand and unlimited fries.
The restaurant is small and cosy, around the corner from Piccadilly Circus.
Our chateaubriand was lovely! And it still sizzles away right on the table! The unlimited fries were unlimited, they topped us up a couple of times and were very generous!
We both ordered the chocolate bomb for dessert which was so nice, the waitresses brang them over and poured chocolate on the top.
Would definitely go back here for food, had a lovely evening. :)

1  Thank JadieLou