“Loved it, perfect dinner before the theatre.”
Review of Rowley's

Rowley's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rowley's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,602 of 27,051 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$102 - US$102
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Transit: Piccadilly Circus tube: 2 minutes walk. Green Park tube: 7 minutes walk.
Description: Not many restaurants have a loyalty scheme, which just goes to show how very loyal Rowley's long-time regulars happen to be. The room is traditionally British, but also informal and relaxed. The menu changes monthly, and always features Rowley's tremendously good char-grilled entrecote steak or breast of Sussex chicken with herb and butter sauce and endless chips. The trad Caeser salad is also terrific. Short, intelligent wine list and the sun-dried tomato chutney served with the cheese is just right. Great for business lunches, or pre- or post-theatre.
Reviewed 4 December 2017

We came here for my 21st birthday dinner before the theatre, the Chateaubriand steak was excellent, the service attentive and friendly and the claret was divine.
I love the feel of this place, classical London restaurant yet with a down to earth feel, the meal was informal yet amazing- can't wait to come back.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

We much enjoyed our visit to Rowleys for lunch.

It's primarily a steak restaurant, and has been in existence for approaching 50 years, with much the same menu/ethos I would guess.

We thought the steak was fantastic, cooked exactly as requested. The starters were excellent, and the side dishes/sauces perfect. The steak is kept warm with a heated platter on the table, which is a nice touch; there may be a problem in that the food keeps cooking, but with us, the waitress turned the flame down half way through the meal to prevent this, also I would suggest this is better than cold food.

Service was good.

Additionally the layout/decoration of the restaurant is exactly right, traditional without being too formal/over powering.

There is a 10% service charge, which is unfortunate, not because the service was poor (it wasn't), but because it's becoming almost automatic with London restaurants. Within reason this is fine, but I would question if say a party of 6, with a £500 bill (not hard in central London) would leave a £50 tip.

Really the restaurant/food merits a 5 star rating, but because of the “automatic” service charge I've come back slightly.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

Yes, I was recommended to try a lunch here, and whilst it was not bad, it wasnt very good either.

The steak was an acceptable quality, I didnt really understand the raving about the food. Standard skinny chips, free flowing apparently, and a side of cauli cheese which was below par just didnt cut if for me.

The steak coming out on a continuously heated platter is a good gimmick, problem is though that it keeps cooking, so becomes overcooked.

probably the highlight of the experience was the chicken livers, which served with brioche were extremely nice!

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

First time visitors to Rowley’s tonight and have to say will be back again. Ordered the steak with unlimited fries (really doesn’t need loads of fussy extras - fries are just perfect) plus the Roquefort sauce. Really very good. Staff friendly without being overbearing and the restaurant is unusual in its decor- a little bit of old London history. Very good all round - we were impressed.

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has been in the same ownership for many years. The food and wine is delicious. It never disappoints. I visited recently and when I was presented with the bill I asked if service was included. I was told it was included on the bill but that the staff do not receive it! I was invited to pay cash service and when I said I didn’t have any cash and I’d prefer just to pay it on my credit card the person serving me just said there was no point in paying the service on my card. I’m not sure if there was just confusion here but I thought I’d post this so any issue here can get addressed.