“Ohmazing food, cool staff, funky venue”
Review of Marquess Tavern

Marquess Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Marquess Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,798 of 23,562 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$16 - US$32
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Essex Road
Transit: Rail: Essex Road; Underground: Highbury & Islington, Angel
Description: In our opinion the best foodie pub in Islington.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just had an amazing Sunday Roast lunch with a group of friends and it was gorgeous! The beef was incredible, the staff hilarious, and the decor so quirky I could gaze at it for ages!
We'll be coming back soon.
Thanks a mill!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

As you walk in, you are first marveled by all the different types of play on light starting with the quintessential lamps accompanied by traditional armchairs, to the ornate chandeliers hanging stylishly above the dinning area.
Once you've found a comfortable nook for you and your party, you are presented with an elaborate menu with a surprising variety of seafood dishes. Meat-lovers have no reason to feel shunned though; from a selection of Rib-eye, to Sirloin, to classic burgers, one is simply spoiled for choice. We chose a lovely seafood platter to share followed by the juiciest lamb chops I have had in a long time. The possibility of choosing one's own sauce and sides is a simply ingenious little quirk, one of many on the menu (check out the Marquess Mess!)
I cannot recommended more and we shall absolutely be returning.
Many thanks to the entire team for a wonderful experience.

1  Thank Marissa88uk
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Roast was Bernard Matthews lamb, awful old potatoes.
Service was horrific, rude staff and things were added to the bills that we didn't have.
Do not attend this pub!

5  Thank chadia81
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We came here for our 'teas' as we were enroute to the Assembly Hall for a concert & this pub was halfway between our awful hotel & the venue.
Lovely looking pub very tastefully decorated in a nice street opposite a park.
The staff were 'very attentive' as we were the only ones in I think.
I had chicken burger with huge chunky chips which came in a funky enamel cup! It was lovely I really enjoyed it.
I had almond & orange sponge for dessert. It was a bit tasteless to be honest but nice & light.
Now I enjoyed the food but my daughter would tell a totally different story as her main course wasn't what she expected & was actually just a chicken salad, might want to change the menu wording there, so I ended up giving her most of my chips, also she has a nut allergy & didnt want the nutty cream that came with the chocolate pudding but they gave her no normal cream or anything as replacement so she basicaly got a square of chocolate cake plopped in a bowl which was a bit naff to be fair.
As for drinks I had Youngs bitter which was flat & my daughter ended up with juice as they didnt have her first two choices...
With just a bit of improvement this could be a fabulous gastro pub...

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Been here a few times since new management. The food is really great and the staff are lovely. I organised a big birthday lunch for my girlfriend and the staff couldn't have been more helpful! The food is also very delicious with a welcome and unusually large selection of sea food. Great pub