“Here goes”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Here goes”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We almost cancelled the table of the basis that there have been some pretty savage reviews of late. However my girlfriend and I have lived in Brixton for 4 years and decided that if we don't go now (for my birthday) then we probably never will.

Thank god we ignored previous reviews, I thought it was fantastic. We were adamant that recent positive reviews were false and uploaded by the proprietors - if they were or now we will never know but our experience was superb.

We opted for the tasting menu, which was a sublime. Think it was £45ph for 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts which I think was great value bearing in mind a la carte was £37 for three courses (albeit larger servings).

I won't go into each course but I thought the skill and balance of flavour on each plate was amongst the best I have had in London. Genuinely.

Basically, the service was functional, professional and inompressive. People who have complained before, remember that this is a French restaurant run by Frenchies, of course they won't tell you about their sister in laws brothers ex girlfriends new nephew. Also, in terms of small servings, it isn't Toby Carvery. Yes it is quite expensive but it is a small business and to make it work they probably have to charge that. You'd pay the same at Maze and Petrus for the same food yet you'd be paying the school fees of the children of a dirty faux Scottish tit in the process of dining in such an establishment.

Upstairs...we will be back (at some point)

• Visited January 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hidden restaurant in Brixton”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We went to upstairs for a meal with my partner and although I do not normally write reviews for restaurants, I thought this restaurant really merited one.
The cuisine was imaginative, refine and the wines excellent.
The atmosphere is relaxed and unpretentious, a fantastic place for a meal with friends or en tete a tete
The service was impeccable, discreet and the owners extremely welcoming.
Although the menu doesn't describe the dish completely (adding a bit of mystery and surprise), the waiter was at hand to explain exactly what all the ingredients were.
We will certainly be back and will recommend to friends, a hidden gem in Brixton!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank dom l
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Very enjoyable, the pork was fantastic. Would highly recommend this place. I will definitely be coming back.

Miami, Florida
“Excellent”
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

After reading the last couple of reviews,I was in two minds about coming here. I shouldn't have been, it was excellent! Friendly service and top notch food. Particularly enjoyed the lamb and the chocolate dessert. Will definitely be back!

Brixton, United Kingdom
“THE WORST DINING EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is the worst dining experience I have ever had. The food was average at best, the service was appalling, the staff were incompetent and rude. The manager was particularly awful and finished our evening by saying that we should not of had 2 bottles of wine if we were not happy with the meal. Wine, which I had to go to the bar to collect myself as the waiters had gone AWOL. The menu came after requesting twice and 45 minutes after our arrival. The first course took 2 hours to be served. The idea that this was meant to be a French themed restaurant is absurd and an embarrassment. In fact the owner should be done for false advertising. My mother was visiting and it almost ruined the whole weekend however the following day we went to two proper restaurants with good food and excellent service. I shall send the manager to these restaurants for training.

• Visited December 2013