“Let down by poor service and some average food”
Review of La Cage Imaginaire

La Cage Imaginaire
Reserve with OpenTable
La Cage Imaginaire is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,521 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$69
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
London
“Let down by poor service and some average food”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We were really looking forward to visiting this restaurant after many personal recommendations.
This is a small but pretty room. We had a table for six on a round table in a bay window in the front.
10 minutes after sitting down the waitress took our order for drinks. 5 minutes later they arrived without one of the drinks ordered. That took another 5 minutes.
The biggest problem was that our waitress couldn't understand English that well!
We asked for more bread and that finally arrived half way through the main course.
1st course: 2 prawns (good)
Pate ( good)
3 onion soups (just awful, very little taste and watery)
Main course:
3 sea bass ( excellent )
Fillet beef. ( tough as leather)
2 lamb cutlets ( tough )
Desserts were ok.
We had only soft drinks and the bill came to £70 per couple.
With poor and slow service combined with very average food, I am sad to say we won't be returning.

1 Thank gnphillips

London, United Kingdom
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

In one word it was simply awful.
I do not recommend this restaurant even to my worst enemies.
We order ravioli for starter. It tasted like cardboard.
Beef was bland and tasteless.

• Visited April 2014
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I expected a lot from this so called French restaurant.. It was a disaster from start to finish. First of all, we were sitting next to a very noisy large birthday party, which is bound to be a bad thing in such a small restaurant.
Then the food... Scallops badly cooked, cold peas and a smear of purée of the same peas,the whole thing totally tasteless and without any trace of salt or pepper. Really, really bland, like the worst school lunch one would rather forget. Then came my overcooked halibut on a bed of cabbage, as dry and tasteless as my first course.. With house wine, the bill came to £75 for two. £75 too much if you ask me. I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone. I certainly will never come back.

Visited March 2014
London
“Great traditional French food, very good value”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Went in for a saturday lunch despite the place being largely empty- tempted by the cheap £12 for 2 courses lunch menu. Good decision.

Food was great. Well executed traditional French fare. Delicious stuffed squid would have been good value at twice the price.

Service was great, v friendly.

Also has a lovely old world, homely atmosphere....only slight issue was worn menus and un-ironed tablecloths.

Would definitely go again.

London, United Kingdom
“Valentine's Day”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Located at the end of a cute street in Hampstead, La Cage Imaginaire is a tiny establishment.

We booked a table for Valentine's Day, and we had our hopes high for this restaurant.

First impression upon arrival was that there was a lot of condensation on the windows. The room was very small and you've got to love promiscuity with the other customers.

The staff was attentive and service was good and quick enough considered the peak of that night.

Now, let's talk about the food.

As a starter, I had a "duck and foie gras terrine"; and quite frankly, I wonder where was the foie gras in this terrine... there was not a hint of foie gras flavour in it... quite disappointed
My fiancee had fired tiger prawns with garlic and chilli, they were wonderful.

As a main course, I had a "seared" duck breast. Please note that I put "seared" as this duck did not impress me. It was more boiled than seared and lacked significantly of flavour. The side dish were nice though, as the vegetables were well done.
My fiancee had the "bouillabaisse a la provencal", or should I call it the "fish bones festival"... I feel sorry that the chef was not considerate enough to remove the bones from those fillets... I would have understood their presence in a whole fish, but in a fillet is totally unacceptable.

The desserts were nice, a homemade marshmallow with a chocolate fondue and an "almond and apple tarte tatin". The tarte tatin was really good, the apples were well prepared and the crust just perfect.

To be honest, we were both disappointed by this restaurant as we had high hopes for a French restaurant in Hampstead. The Valentine's Day menu was not expensive (£40 pp), but was not worth it either.

According to the other reviews, an ordinary day would have been better to try their food.

A nice attention were given at the end of the meal as my fiancee were offered a complimentary flower land a box of chocolates.

• Visited February 2014