“Great Bar with Great views and fantastic cocktails”

Gillray's Steakhouse & Bar
Ranked #1,371 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$21 - US$99
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Description: We serve the best Aberdeen Angus steak sourced from English farms accompanied by the highest quality service. Situated on the banks of the River Thames with views of the London Eye, there is no better location from which to enjoy your delicious meal. Our bar is open late and serves a mixture of classic and contemporary cocktails; a selection of over 70 gins and a wide selection of beers, wines, and spirits.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We spent a great afternoon in the bar sampling many of the cocktails, my favourite was GLC. Would highly recommend as the bartenders were good fun but professional. Also, loved the décor and buzzy atmosphere.

1  Thank lily0074

Reviewed 4 April 2014

It was recommended to me, and I would have to say the food was quite good, but the service fell short, even for London. A great rib-eye, and the view over the river is wonderful, but I had to repeatedly ask for drink service, finally having a martini just as my steak was served. The piano player and singer in the lounge were great though. Worth going for, and I expect service would be better for 2 or more.

Theresa M, General Manager at Gillray's Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Temagami,

I sincerely appreciate your review and the fact that you enjoyed the great views and the food at Gillray's Steakhouse. As you mentioned, this was a live music night and our bar was overwhelmed with visitors, which should have not affected our timely service.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls you encountered and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,
Theresa Maw- General Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I cannot speak for the restaurant, as we didn't eat at Gillray's, but rather just drank at the bar everyday for our 4 day stay at the hotel. We had the best bartenders each night! I have to give a shout out to Francesco, who made me the most carefully crafted cocktail that included powder sugar dusted berries. Also, the bar manager, whose name escapes me now (sorry) was the best educator on gin. I feel as if I took a 3 day seminar on the history of gin and London. We honestly looked forward to seeing them each night in the bar. They also gave us great recommendations for other great bars to try out. There is a great camaraderie among mixologists in London. I would tell anyone traveling to London to visit this bar for a special cocktail... and ask for Francesco to make it!

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I reserved a table at this restaurant for myself and my family for mothers day and I have to say it was a really pleasurable experience. There was 6 of us in total including my 1 year old daughter. The staff were extremely friendly and professional. They provided a high chair for my daughter along with some pictures and colouring pencils to help keep her entertained which she loved. My father only drinks non-alcoholic beer which they didn't serve in the restaurant or bar but as they sold it in room service the waitress quickly collected us some and gave father had his own little collection of drinks at the table, which really made him happy. We all opted to have a beef Sunday roast which came with a complimentary glass of wine each. The food was plentiful and delicious. There was so much we couldn't finish it all. My husband actually said it was one of the best roast dinners he's ever had. They provided us with a children's menu for my daughter and she had a lovely little meal of chicken goujons with chips and carrots. There desert menu is simple yet effective. We had a few coffee's along with some ice cream and frozen yoghurt in a variety of flavours. Overall it was a beautiful restaurant in a grand hotel with beautiful views of the city and the Thames. I will certainly be returning and recommending this place!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Ate at Gillrays for the first time last night. We got a deal so ate off of a set menu for £30 each, no steak on that menu and no option to upgrade which was a shame. We had mussels and the pig cheek to start, fish & chips and the brisket for mains, cheese board and sticky toffee for pudding. The food was superb! Even though we couldn't order steak the brisket was really good. I asked if they had a side of steamed veg which they didn't, just spinach/potatoes or brussels, not sure why they couldn't have knocked up steamed veg on request. We also ordered the special gin cocktails attached to the menu which were amazing and I don't usually drink gin! The drinks were a little slow coming at times, but there was a nice enough break between courses so you didn't feel at all rushed. The website boasts about it having the best views, it has nice views although not sure they are the best! Location wise it is great, right above the Aquarium by a set of stairs that you can just notice takes you up above the Aquarium and straight into the bar area. We sat at the bar after eating which had a nice atmosphere. They also did 'earth hour' where they dimmed the lights for 60mins, never experienced this before but was quite nice (& you can still see your food!). Overall we had a great night and would recommend. Also, check the website, they have some good set menu deals! The staff were extremely attentive and polite also, we'd like them to serve us each night at home :)