“Excellent Food but .......”

Gillray's Steakhouse & Bar
Ranked #411 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$19 - US$90
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Description: We serve the best Aberdeen Angus steak sourced from English farms accompanied by the highest quality service. Situated on the banks of the River Thames with views of the London Eye, there is no better location from which to enjoy your delicious meal. Our bar is open late and serves a mixture of classic and contemporary cocktails; a selection of over 70 gins and a wide selection of beers, wines, and spirits.
“Excellent Food but .......”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I took 2 friends for lunch at Gillrays. The food and ambience were excellent - some of the best steak I have ever had. Unfortunately the service was very poor - drinks that had to be chased (on 2 separate occasions, once in the bar and once in the restaurant), incorrect drinks delivered, spilt wine, one steak not quite as ordered. Generally service was very slow and in the end I had to take the bill and my credit card to the desk to pay. At just under £100 per head, this was very disappointing. Will I eat there again? Yes, because the food is excellent but I will not be paying the 12.5% service charge.

• Visited April 2014
Theresa M, General Manager at Gillray's Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Alison,

I am grateful for your review and I was very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed our excellent food, however it is dissapointing to learn of the poor service you encountered on both your visits to the bar and restaurant. On behalf of the team, please accept our apologies for this.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to demonstrate our true Marriott Service excellence. If you do, please contact the general manager at Gillray's directly on enquiry@gillray's.com

Kindest regards,
T Maw, General Manager

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Meal”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

What a find - a quick google based on where we were staying and we came across Gillrays
What a wonderful restaurant - professional yet friendly. Extremely knowledgeable staff.
Fantastic food, the steaks were amazing. Managed to still have room for pudding (which was also amazing)
Thoroughly recommend a visit - and will be using any excuse to come and visit again
Now in my top 10 favourite restaurants

1 Thank Akliverpool
London, United Kingdom
“Great Bar with Great views and fantastic cocktails”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We spent a great afternoon in the bar sampling many of the cocktails, my favourite was GLC. Would highly recommend as the bartenders were good fun but professional. Also, loved the décor and buzzy atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank lily0074
London, United Kingdom
“April Visit”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

It was recommended to me, and I would have to say the food was quite good, but the service fell short, even for London. A great rib-eye, and the view over the river is wonderful, but I had to repeatedly ask for drink service, finally having a martini just as my steak was served. The piano player and singer in the lounge were great though. Worth going for, and I expect service would be better for 2 or more.

• Visited April 2014
Theresa M, General Manager at Gillray's Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Temagami,

I sincerely appreciate your review and the fact that you enjoyed the great views and the food at Gillray's Steakhouse. As you mentioned, this was a live music night and our bar was overwhelmed with visitors, which should have not affected our timely service.

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls you encountered and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,
Theresa Maw- General Manager
Bethesda, MD
“Amazing Bartenders”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I cannot speak for the restaurant, as we didn't eat at Gillray's, but rather just drank at the bar everyday for our 4 day stay at the hotel. We had the best bartenders each night! I have to give a shout out to Francesco, who made me the most carefully crafted cocktail that included powder sugar dusted berries. Also, the bar manager, whose name escapes me now (sorry) was the best educator on gin. I feel as if I took a 3 day seminar on the history of gin and London. We honestly looked forward to seeing them each night in the bar. They also gave us great recommendations for other great bars to try out. There is a great camaraderie among mixologists in London. I would tell anyone traveling to London to visit this bar for a special cocktail... and ask for Francesco to make it!

• Visited March 2014