“Poor to Average overall”
Review of Magdalen - CLOSED

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Transit: London Bridge
Description: This is open to the general public and is a real find and needs to be reviewed so people are aware of it
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“Poor to Average overall”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Spent an evening here with family. We had a range of starters which were OK but not anything special and a touch expensive. Several of us had Turbot as the main course that was served with samphire and one boiled potato. This was very expensive for what was served. The deserts were OK but nothing to write home about. The wine was nice enough but expensive for what it was.
Curiously, we were offered bread and butter at the start of the meal but none of us had side plates to put it on. None of the tables around us had side plates either. Very odd!
The staff were friendly and attentive and that made up, a little, for the restaurant's shortcomings elsewhere. The lunch time set menus look reasonable and might be worth trying but this is not a place I would visit again or could recommend for an evening meal.

• Visited August 2014

Centreville, Virginia
“Good food, mediocre service”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This restaurant was recommended by my hotel concierge when I inquired about a fine dining establishment that is accustomed to solo diners. The good news is that the dining was indeed fine. The Devon crab starter was nicely seasoned with fresh garlic and the portion was generous. The rack of lamb was nice and pink, although a bit fatty, and the vegetables were firm and flavorful. I was pleasantly surprised by the mild and flavorful house Sauvignon Blanc, which paired well with the cheese plate I selected for dessert. Now, the bad news. The service was less than stellar. My server never came round during the entire first course to ask if everything was to my liking, something that I noticed that the other servers were doing at their tables. The restaurant was not particularly busy, so I was surprised. It took some effort to get the server's attention to order a second glass of wine and though he kept smiling, I got the impression that he'd prefer to be doing something else than waiting tables. The GBP 55 tab was steep but not unusual for London. Fortunately for my server, the service charge is included; he certainly didn't deserve the 12.5%. It's really disappointing when a good meal is overshadowed by mediocre service.

• Visited August 2014
Madrid
“Good restaurant but expensive”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I really enjoyed the food althought the meat (veal) was cold.

The brown crab was really good and I strongly recommend it.

We asked for red wine and was warm.

Too expensive from my point of view but nice and cozy

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Cosy and excellent value restaurant”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had a business lunch here recently. We tried the Restaurant, just across the river in Tooley street as we were getting tired of the usual expensive choice in the city.
Compelled to say how impressed i was with the modern European style food and the value with two courses at just £19.95.

The service was very attentative and the atmosphere cosy with excellent air conditioning to keep you cool from the city heat.

Will be definately going back there and soon

• Visited July 2014
London
“Nice ambiance”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have visited twice, nice restaurant, good service and excellent French cuisine. Quite pricy but a place with charm and above average quality.
I will return and recommend it for a business lunch.

Visited July 2014