“Great experience - not for everyone”
Review of Dans Le Noir

Dans Le Noir
Ranked #367 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$57 - US$126
Cuisines: International
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Located in trendy Clerkenwell, the novel concept behind Dans le Noir is to re-think the notion of taste by serving your food in complete pitch darkness. The eclectic menu is designed to maximise such heightened sensory awareness; instead of listed dishes, there are surprise menus with omissions to suit different tastes (such as vegetarian). Blind staff serve and guide diners in the main restaurant, with a lit bar and lounge for ordering and pre- or post-dinner cocktails.
London, United Kingdom
“Great experience - not for everyone”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

In terms of experience, this place has no runner-ups. However, not everyone will enjoy it - one of my friends felt quite unwell and generally speaking, it's not only dark but also hot inside. On this particular occasion, the overall experience was ruined by people shouting like stabbed pigs (worth noting tables are extremely close to each other). The food, on the other hand, was delicious and if you decide to go, definitely get what's called "Surprise" - I had a delicious meal including (this will be changed completely during the world cup) springbok, crocodile and ostrich!! No wonder I didn't guess any of those at the end.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Traveller V

• Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Cannot fault it!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

By far the best eating experience I have ever had. I've been twice now, once with my other half and then bought along another couple the second time. They enjoyed it as much as us and would definitely go again. Great in a group as you have such a laugh!
The prices are expensive but for a fine dining meal with experience in London, its to be expected and I would say worth the money!
If I had the money to I would come here more often. Will be coming back in the future for sure!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank E D
United Kingdom
“Lunch in the Pitch Black is an interesting experience”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went here with three friends for lunch on Sunday, without giving too much away about the menu they offer four set menus, based on Meat, Fish, Seafood or a Surprise.

You choose your menu and wine in the main room, and are then taken along a dark corridor where you meet your guide who is blind, and they take your from there into a room that is totally dark.

In fact you ahve to leave mobiles and any other light sources in secure lockers before entering.

Our guide was Simon, who I have to say was absolutely brilliant.

It takes a few minute to get used to the pitch black, but after a few minutes I found it really relaxing, and noticed that other senses come to the fore, you can hear things around you in more detail, and taste is also heightened.

It's great fun, especially when you come out and relaise how right or wrong your perception of what you just ate is.

Give it a try!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Pauly-london
London
“Weird experience with great food”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

When you first walk into the dark room, it is very unreal and you totally put your trust into your waiter. Once you are seated it does take a while to feel comfortable. Our drinks arrived quickly and we chose the meat menu. The starter arrived quick after. In fact everything is very well organised and the service is brilliant. Once we was finished, we were led outside and tried to guess what we had just ate. We were totally wrong but everything was delicious. It was quite expensive but as a whole experience it was great. I have wanted to try this place for years and I am pleased that we have, but it is not a place I could experience time and time again. I do recommend this experience as a whole if it's something you have wanted to try.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank m0rgank
London, United Kingdom
“Food in a whole new 'light'”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

There is everything to love about this experience and all the better when you do it with friends. We laughed like kids from start to finish. A normal sentence takes on a whole new meaning when said in complete blackness :-)
The service was faultless and the food delicious. Had we been on a game show we would have lost miserably as we didn't fare very well when asked at the end did we know what we ate. But that made it all the more hilarious.
Would definitely go back again.

Visited June 2014