“great atmosphere, location, great all round place for a variety of occasions” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wells Tavern

The Wells Tavern
Ranked #1,232 of 22,217 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$40 - US$50
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A refreshing dining and drinking destination in Hampstead, The Wells is an award-winning traditional British gastro pub in a classic Georgian building. Ever since Beth Coventry started revitalising Hampstead's pub and restaurant scene with The Wells in June 2003, the seasonal food and picturesque surroundings have been applauded by the locals, as well as earned positive responses in the Hardens and Square Meal guides. The varied, frequently changing menu showcases British food of the highest quality, prepared with carefully sourced produce which you can enjoy in the elegant, intimate upstairs dining rooms, or in the friendly atmosphere of the spacious ground floor bar. The range of hearty, reasonably priced courses include Rib-Eye Steak with Chips, Scotch Angus Hamburger, Corn-Fed Chicken Breast with New Potatoes, and Lamb Rump with Pomme Puree. Beer drinkers are well-catered for, with Black Sheep Bitter, Grolsch and Guinness on draught and regularly changing guest ales also available. There is also an international wine list and a selection of classic cocktails for you to enjoy. Chess, Scrabble and Backgammon boards are provided, and you can even play Solitaire with olives as counters as a pre or post-dinner snack. Wi-Fi internet access is also available throughout. On warm summer days, you can take your food and drink outside to enjoy under the sun and when winter sets in, The Wells lights up the open fire for a cosy ambience inside. Whatever the weather, The Wells is definitely the perfect pub and restaurant combination that you have been looking for.
London, United Kingdom
“great atmosphere, location, great all round place for a variety of occasions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a recurring spot for me to meet up with friends and catch up for a drink, or two then maybe food and always comfortable place to hang out, often for longer than anticipated - it somehow induces a sense of relaxation for conversation that loses track of time. Great affordable wine selection, great range of cocktails - oh and of course - it is a great pub.

• Visited August 2014

Auckland
“What happened to this place?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This used to be my favourite pub in hampstead. Would visit once a month as the food was good and well priced, and the service was good
but lately.. the food has been a bit hit or miss, and my last experience, the hostess did not even greet us while she folded napkins for 5 minutes while we stood there waiting. She was pretty rude when we asked for attention then told us to sit anywhere without a reserved sign
She later told us we couldn't sit where we were sitting because it was "reserved"

While taking orders, instead of saying "sorry I didn't hear you", she was very rude and unwelcoming. And when asked how I'd like my burger cooked I replied with "just the way you guys usually do it. She responded in a very rude and sarcastic tone with "so how do you want it then"
A good restaurant usually has a recommendation doesn't it?

Its a pity as the consistency has gone down. Now i'll have to check who's hosting before eating at this pub, as I did not like my rude experience with this staunch waitress. Most of the other ones are gentle and friendly

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dolarr
Stuart H, Manager at The Wells Tavern, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Dolarr

I was sorry to read about your experience as it is not normal for us and not the reputation we have spent the last 11 years building. Can you please let me know exactly when you were in so I can look back and see who was working and investigate this. You can contact myself directly at stuart@thewellshampstead.co.uk. We don't have hostess so I can only assume it was one of the waitresses but I would need to confirm the date so I can check the rot as.

Kind regards

Stuart Holms
Operations Director
St Albans, United Kingdom
“A stand alone,non-chain gastro pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

In central London a non chain gastro pub may be fairly common, but as you head out to the 'burbs most gastro pubs seem to be part of Mitchel & Butlers, J.d Weatherspoons or another chain. All you have to do is visit the (now) truly dreadful Orange Tree in N20 to see how bad this is. The Wells is that rarity - a non chain excellent gastro pub. The bar scence downstairs is bustling with a few tables serving lunch ( Hampstead's finest burger? even better than Spielburgers) Upstairs is beautiful restaurant - with 3 or 4 different dining areas. Last weekend 4 of us dined here - we had 3 mint and pea soups and 1 watermellon chilled soup - all were fantastic. But it's the main course that was truly memorable - the chateaubriand was perhaps the best cut of meat i've ever had - better than Goodmans or Cut. mind you at £55 for 2 in a pub in Hampstead it had better be! served with chips and green beans. Fantastic!

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food but.. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have been wanting to try this restaurant for ages.. And maybe I waited too long!

Cosy first floor restaurant environment, kind of romantic.
Very good food. We tried the vegetarian option, the chickpea pancake with grilled vegetables, which was a very good choice; a real blend of interesting flavours, slightly spicy and perfectly balanced.
Even the water melon gazpacho was a little revelation. It felt like a summer soup with that extra twist of water melon and feta.

What hasn't completed the picture for me here was the service. Quick, efficient, yes, but hardly friendly and definitely abrupt.
Thumbs down even for the cocktail. Definitely sour when it should have been sweet.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Great steaks, lovely setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Wells is more a restaurant than a pub. We had a delightful lunch; great steaks cooked very well, accompanied by excellent chips. The 28 day-aged rump steak was one of the nicest I've eaten, and the bavette my wife enjoyed came in a tasty sauce. We plan to return with the kids, who also enjoy a steak...

• Visited July 2014