“Not welcoming or well served”

Homage at The Waldorf Hilton
Ranked #3,481 of 24,429 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$33 - US$60
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: Afternoon Tea at The Waldorf consists of a mouth-watering array of delicate pastries, homemade cakes and scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserve. Diners can indulge in some luxurious champagne and choose from a wide range of distinct blends of tea, imported by specialist tea suppliers from around the world. The Waldorf, known as The Waldorf Hilton since January 2004, has an illustrious history and rich heritage dating back to its opening in 1908. Set in the heart of London's theatre land, close to Covent Garden, the hotel has attracted a string of stars from all over the world. Gertrude Lawrence, Sir Thomas Beecham, Elizabeth Taylor, Pavarotti, Pierce Brosnan and Dame Judi Dench are just a handful of show business icons that have stayed at the hotel. Open on select Sundays, Palm Court is the spacious, elegant and versatile heart of The Waldorf Hilton. It features an historic, impeccably styled interior, with fabulously restored balustrades lending an air of chic decadence and sophistication. Afternoon Tea Dance offers contemporary afternoon tea with a variety of finger sandwiches, freshly baked scones with Devonshire clotted cream and strawberry jam, delicate homemade pastry cakes and choice of many teas and infusions, a frothy cappuccino or a black coffee. A live 5-piece band will entertain with all the ballroom classics, while guests dance away on a Sunday afternoon in the historical Palm Court. All this is available for £49.00 per person only.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Grand restaurants should not only be in grand settings but also provide grand service. Sadly this seems not to be the case at the Waldorf. My wife and I arrived early but were not welcomed at all by the young lady on the front desk, instead we were told abruptly to go away until the reservation time. At table we had to wait a long while to be served and for the meal to come, even though there seemed to be more serving staff than diners. We were seen by a succession of different waiters and there was no continuity. Not a single member of staff was able to explain the decorative motifs that appear everywhere around the room on the columns. Fortunately the food was good, otherwise it would have been a rather depressing experience.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I shall start by saying that I had my doubts about the Homage restaurant in the Waldorf as were driving to it. Our table for four was booked for 19.30hrs on Saturday evening & we were running approx 15-20 mins late due to traffic and wanted to inform them of this. It would be fair to say my friend spent more than half an hour trying to speak to someone, without success. The phone was either not answered, or picked up to be cut off again immediately. Regarding our experience when we got there. Overall, all four of us would say this restaurant lived up to it's name regarding the food choice & quality, however, they simply did not have enough staff. Our service was no better than in your average chain restaurant. All the staff we met were pleasant enough, but I felt that none of them had any form of interaction with us, due to their work load. We are aware we were on a special deal, but there is an expectation with the Waldorf name, which I am sure the Waldorf is proud to have. It should never be forgotten, diners eat in places like this for the WHOLE experience. We had to ask for our Prosecco which was part of our deal, also, we were not offered a wine list, so we asked for it, we then had to wait for some time before it arrived. I have no idea if there is a Sommelier in this establishment, my experience tells me there isn't. Our starters took the best part of an hour to arrive, then a long wait for the main courses, initially mine being served to my husband. That did not surprise me, as this particular waiter had no contact with us until this point. When we did get our bottle of wine, it finished up in three different places in it's "shared" ice bucket. Our bottle, it would seem, was sharing the bucket with the wine from other diners tables! It started off, as you would expect, by the side of our table, then was moved behind us in one direction, then it's final move to another direction! Obviously a shortage of Ice Buckets as well as staff. Annoyingly, no member of staff said they were actually doing this! Bearing in mind the lack of staff & long waiting times, as the customer, this made me feel like we were put into a potentially awkward situation, should we have had to help ourselves to our wine. Our booked meal was a set 2 course dinner with one glass of Prosecco, each. We did think before we went, we would probably have the full 3 courses and pay the extra. However, due to the experience of our evening, we left after the mains and had coffees and dessert in a nearby restaurant we know very well in Covent Garden. I note a previous reviewer in April, has headed their review of the Homage Restaurant as "Don't book on a Saturday night" I would wholeheartedly agree with this.

2  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I came back recently to meet a friend for dinner after previously experiencing the afternoon tea (beautiful by the way).

Again I was pleasantly suprised, however I would expect the menu to be a bit more intresting but I was assured the new one is coming soon.

Service was attentive, food looked and tasted great.

Location, service and food all great. Just tweak the menu :)

2  Thank Quinlan22
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked with vouchers and they accepted my booking without all the codes. It was easy to communicate the codes later with the management. We were shown to our table and champagne was offered almost immediately. It was a busy night and the waiting staff were rushed. We had to wait a while for the starters but delicious bread rolls were served to fill us up...lol. Unfortunately they weren't offered to all at the table. The savoury plates were excellent but the lemon tart lacked the lemony taste. The other desserts were really tasty. Amidst the meal the AC was turned on and it became extremely cold, this was attended to when we managed to speak to the busy waiter. We had 3 birthday celebrations and they acknowledged it on their desserts. As much as the staff were busy, they were always polite and accommodating so I would return again.

1  Thank bkpkerluvs2travel
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I went here for a date with my partner and wanted a change of venue and something special: this was definitely special! You greeted by the doorman of the Waldorf and walk through a suave bar with grand piano to walk into a dining room with ivory decor enhanced by gorgeous chandeliers.
The waiter was polite and courteous, giving us time alone but not too much so we were looking for him to take our order. The food was really really good: portions a bit small but with side dishes (that are reasonably priced!) you end up pretty satisfied. Definitely a place to go for special occasions and I will go again.

1  Thank Sali M