“Shoved behind a curtain”

Balls Brothers - Hay's Galleria
Ranked #6,636 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Description: Located in the stunning Hays Galleria close to London Bridge, this is a great place to pop in for lunch or dinner, an after work drink where Happy Hour is available 5-7pm or a place to book for a party. During the summer months the terrace bar is open for al fresco drinks after a long day at the office with the ability to play pétanque. The terrace can be hired out exclusively and has the added benefits of use of the pétanque pitch, it’s own bar, and you can even have your own personal chef cooking paella while you watch.
Harleston, United Kingdom
“Shoved behind a curtain”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Booked a week in advance, not a very nice welcome, lad muttered something to which his colleague laughed and said ' oh I think he wants you to follow him' so off we went, took us to area of restaurant which was empty and totally devoid of atmosphere. Felt like lepurs, being put in a curtained off area. Why were we given rubbish seats, is it because we booked? Sounded like everyone else was enjoying their meals in the main area. Service was indifferent, food mediocre, skipped dessert and paid at the bar. Will give this a miss.

• Visited May 2014
HaysManagement, General Manager at Balls Brothers - Hay's Galleria, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am disappointed to see that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We always try to sit our dinner bookings slightly away from the hustle and bustle of the main bar, and we find the vast majority of our customers prefer a more quiet & intimate setting for dinner rather than being sat in the noisy bar area. Dinners are never served in that area, the food served in that area would have undoubtedly been bar snacks. We always try to give our customers exactly what they want, and would have of course tried to move you into the more busy bar area if we'd have known you didn't like your quieter setting. At Balls Brothers we pride ourselves on our customer service & I hope this visit wont cloud your image of us here at Hays. I'd love to invite you back down to give us another go. Please drop me a line on greg.hughes@novusleisure.com. Kind regards, Greg Hughes, General Manager

London, United Kingdom
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I hired a section of the downstairs for a corporate sales drinks reception and had a wonderful experience. Sarah did everything she could to ensure the smooth running of the event and nothing was too much trouble. The bar staff were fantastic and everyone had a brilliant night.
Thanks to all the staff who made it possible and I will most definintely be back.
I recommend Balls Brothers as a great place to have a drink either as a couple, small or big group as the space is versatile and it's in a great location.
Wonderful evening, thanks again!

Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic 5 star review. It is a pleasure to hear such great comments, I will make sure I feed back to all the team. Hopefully we will see you back down with us in Hays very soon! Kind regards, Greg Hughes General Manager
UK
“Lunch after Shard visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We had lunch as part of a package from Buy a Gift. The restaurant is very convenient, clearly visible from the top of the Shard. We knew that it would be a limited choice two course meal. We ordered from the menu and asked to exchange the potatoes with the sausages for vegetables to reduce the carbohydrate overload - no chance. Then the main dish arrived and was not the risotto on the menu because the chef hadn't made any that morning. Wasn't the service any good when I asked for the charge to be taken off? Yes it was OK but it was let down by the chef and choice.

Visited May 2014
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am concerned to hear that your visit was not up to standard this time. You should have of course been able to swop your mashed potato for vegetables, and you can rest assured that following your comments, I have taken this up with my chefs to ensure such an incidence doesn't occur again. I hope this wont cloud your judgment of us here at Hays and would love to invite you back down to give us another go. Please drop me an email on greg.hughes@novusleisure.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Greg Hughes. General Manager
Savannah, Georgia
“Lovely atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Popped into this quaint restaurant while visiting London last year. My boyfriend and I enjoyed a lovely lunch with drinks on the patio and had a great time people watching!
Staff was great and afterwards it was a very easy walk over to Tower Bridge and the touristy sites.
A+!

• Visited June 2013
Hi Kate,
Thank you for such as nice review! We look forward to seeing down at Hays soon! Kind regards, Greg Hughes, General Manager
Stevenage, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visit to the Shard and Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We had a pleasant lunch in this restaurant. The menu was very basic with not much choice. the staff were efficient and friendly and the food was very nice.

There are much nicer restaurants to visit in this area but there was nothing "wrong" as such with this place.

Would we go back, likely not.

• Visited May 2014
HaysManagement, General Manager at Balls Brothers - Hay's Galleria, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hi Rosella,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I do apologise for you feeling that the menu for your shard package was limited. We always to include something for everyone on this menu, but unfortunately are unable to offer bigger choice from the main menu with this deal. I would love to invite you to come back down to Hays to try something from our main menu... if would like to come down, please just drop me a line on greg.hughes@novisleisure.com where I will personally get you all booked up. Kindest regards, Greg Hughes General Manager.