“Passable”

Ranked #6,787 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Description: Located in the stunning Hays Galleria close to London Bridge, this is a great place to pop in for lunch or dinner, an after work drink where Happy Hour is available 5-7pm or a place to book for a party. During the summer months the terrace bar is open for al fresco drinks after a long day at the office with the ability to play pétanque. The terrace can be hired out exclusively and has the added benefits of use of the pétanque pitch, it’s own bar, and you can even have your own personal chef cooking paella while you watch.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Passable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I tried to book here for lunch ...the website doesn't work and neither does the phone number so I booked through the Hays Galleria system and received a booking confirmation email. When we turned up there was no record of our booking but we were lucky enough to get a table. The food is passable...we had o.k Greek salads...skimpy on the feta cheese. We wouldn't go again. Food average to poor and contact system abysmal.

• Visited June 2014
HaysManagement, General Manager at Balls Brothers - Hay's Galleria, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Percy,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during the booking process. We experienced issues with our internet and phone lines at the time in question, causing a breakdown in the advance booking system. I am also disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the food on your visit. All feedback is taken carefully into consideration to ensure we constantly deliver the best product and experience for our guests, and you can be assured that the points you raised have been acted upon to ensure such as occurrence doesn't occur again. I would love for you to give us another go at Hays, and wish to personally extend an invitation to you. Please drop me a line on greg.hughes@novusleisure.com where I would love to hear from you. Kind regards, Greg Hughes, General Manager

London, United Kingdom
“Lunch in the sun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had arranged for a set lunch and found a reserved table already set out for us in the wharf. Very nice.
The food was well prepared and presented and we were not rushed at all. The staff were attentive but the place seemed to be stereotyped in some way.
When we saw the menu we asked for a shared antipasti board but were informed this was not possible. I know we had booked a set lunch but I would have thought a restaurant would have been only too willing to sell more.
I specifically asked for my food to be displayed on a plate rather than a piece of driftwood but the meal was still delivered on a piece of driftwood and I had to obtain a plate and transfer the food myself.
Little things like that put me off but otherwise the setting was good and as I wrote earlier the lunch was good value and tasty.

Visited June 2014
Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I do apologise for not being able to provide you and your party with the anti pasti boards when you visited. I do hope this incident wont cloud your judgement of us here at Hays and would love for you to give us another go. If you would like to come down, please drop me an email at greg.hughes@novusleisure.com where I would love to hear from you. Kind regards, Greg Hughes General Manager.
Chicago, Illinois
“A very pleasant place to dine with awesome views outside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We very much enjoyed our lunch in London here in this hidden away little mall.
The service was friendly with good recommendations on what to order.
It has a great view of the Thames River and good people watching as well.
The Fish & Chips (one long piece of fresh fish batter fried), the Pork Medallions and Bangers and Mash were delicious, except the beef sandwich was a bit dry (my dish natch..)
We would go back in a heartbeat though as it was such a solid place with great history to boot.
Cheers!

2 Thank Kimberly W
Hi Kimberley,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such nice comments. Always a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you back down at Hays next time you are in London! Kind regards, Greg Hughes General Manager.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice food good service, great fish and chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This restaurant is nicely situated with a nice upstairs seating area. But like most eateries in London, it gets very busy on any day of the week before 8pm.
So we were seated downstairs in the main area. This is pleasant enough with a good atmosphere. The service was good and friendly and prices are average for Central London.
We all ordered the fish and chips and it was delicious. A good range of wines available and it all made for a very pleasant Tuesday evening.

• Visited June 2014
HaysManagement, General Manager at Balls Brothers - Hay's Galleria, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hi There,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovely comments. We very much look forward to seeing you down with us again soon! Kind regards, Greg Hughes, General Manager
London
“Vegetarians stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you're a veggie who still manages to get excited by a bowl of risotto then this is the place for you. Otherwise, go elsewhere or just go for a drink (it is a fabulous location).

The only vegetarian choice on the menu is risotto - one measly option. The menu does state to ask for vegetarian options but the staff were only able to offer salad as an alternative, which does not reflect well on the chef (microwave operator?).

We were unimpressed, finished our glasses of wine - which the manager kindly gave us for free blaming the company who plans the menus - and went to one of the many restaurants nearby that does cater for non meat/fish eaters.

I mailed Balls Brothers a week ago to express my disappointment but am awaiting a reply...

• Visited May 2014
Dear Nets29,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am disappointed to see that you were unhappy with our vegetarian offer. All feedback is taken extremely seriously in order to consistently provide a product which appeals to all our customers. Since your feedback we have looked at the menu and you will be pleased to hear that we have added additional vegetarian options. We now have 2 hot vegetarian main course dishes, 2 main course vegetarian salad options, as well as over half of our light bites being vegetarian friendly. We change our menu options on a monthly basis, and I do hope you will give us another go soon. I can also assure you that all our vegetarian options are freshly prepared, and referring to our chefs as 'microwave operators' couldn't be further from the truth. We very much look forward to seeing you down with us soon, and thank you again for your valuable comments. Kind regards, Greg Hughes, General Manager